It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There was (and is) a game editor, W&WEditor, by Frederick, available on-line as freeware. I used it in the original version but found it does not work for the GOG version. Anyone have suggestions for making it work now?
PS: I used it because the game had (and still has) a really unfortunate tendency to award just one hit point when a character levels up.
UncleJoe: PS: I used it because the game had (and still has) a really unfortunate tendency to award just one hit point when a character levels up.
This is intended. HP rolls are weighed as an average, so sometimes you get +1 and sometimes you get +44.

To clarify: after a couple levels of low HP rolls, your character will eventually fall below what their average should be, and the game will award them the difference.
Post edited October 06, 2018 by guar
UncleJoe: PS: I used it because the game had (and still has) a really unfortunate tendency to award just one hit point when a character levels up.
guar: This is intended. HP rolls are weighed as an average, so sometimes you get +1 and sometimes you get +44.

To clarify: after a couple levels of low HP rolls, your character will eventually fall below what their average should be, and the game will award them the difference.
Oh. Thanks, Guar...I think. I've played through this game several times (the disk version) and NEVER got over eleven HPs. - and that only once! One HP is by far the most common, with 4 next. At a guess, based on prior experience, I get a one about 90% of the time. I had no idea rolls are weighed, and don't know why, but I just don't like it. Hence W&WEdit. But thanks for the info!
The process has been explained in one of these other threads, but essentially what happens when you level up is the game rerolls your character's HP pool. It compares that number to what your character currently has. If the new number is lower (which is common), you're only awarded +1 HP. If it's higher, it gives you the difference.

A good way to see this in action is to have a character with a low HP base, like a wizard with low fortitude. Level them to about level 10, then max their fortitude and ascend to a high HP role, like barbarian (warlock>paladin>barbarian). Once you get your barbarian past level 10, you should see a huge boost in HP.
guar: The process has been explained in one of these other threads, but essentially what happens when you level up is the game rerolls your character's HP pool. It compares that number to what your character currently has. If the new number is lower (which is common), you're only awarded +1 HP. If it's higher, it gives you the difference.

A good way to see this in action is to have a character with a low HP base, like a wizard with low fortitude. Level them to about level 10, then max their fortitude and ascend to a high HP role, like barbarian (warlock>paladin>barbarian). Once you get your barbarian past level 10, you should see a huge boost in HP.
OK, thanks. Guess it will have to wait, however, my characters are low HP right now.
Link for this editor is:
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wizardswarriors/downloads/wwedit.zip

There is a second editor.

* Notes for the two known editors *

WWEdit by Frederic. 2001
On Windows 10 this starts by flashing a dialog box that says "Wizards&Warriors directory not found!". Fortunately it then starts normally...
It covers: Name, the eight Stats, XP, level, max HP, current HP, role, levels in each Guild, Gold and levels in each Skill. Download:

Roster.dat Editor, by Fendris. 2000
It has five tabs: Attributes, Stats, Skills 1, Skills 2 and Treats.
("Treats" is a mis-spelling of Traits.)
Attributes covers the eight stats.
Stats covers current HP, max HP, Gold, XP and the Mana figures (current/maximum) for each of the six spellbooks. He has altered the names of two of the spellbooks, Suncraft and Fiendcraft.
Skills 1 covers half of the 32 Skills.
Skills 2 covers the other half of the Skills.
Treats covers the 66 Traits. They are listed in the order in which they occur in the save game file, which is not in any way alphabetical.
Editor mixes up the Zenmaster and Valkyrie classes.

I have created an upload for both editors:
https://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/W&WEditors.zip

Inventory editing: editors don't do this. I am working on a spreadsheet for this.

You will be required to remove PCs from the party before you can edit them, this is due to the complexity of the save game files. PC records may occur several times in the same save game file. Also, the files are not perfectly understood...

Various files have been uploaded to the Ironworks thread "W&W Links". Link is:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102624
If you are registered there you can access various data files decrypted by me.
Post edited October 08, 2018 by IshadNha
IshadNha: Link for this editor is:
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wizardswarriors/downloads/wwedit.zip

There is a second editor.

* Notes for the two known editors *

WWEdit by Frederic. 2001
On Windows 10 this starts by flashing a dialog box that says "Wizards&Warriors directory not found!". Fortunately it then starts normally...
It covers: Name, the eight Stats, XP, level, max HP, current HP, role, levels in each Guild, Gold and levels in each Skill. Download:

It has five tabs: Attributes, Stats, Skills 1, Skills 2 and Treats.
("Treats" is a mis-spelling of Traits.)
Attributes covers the eight stats.
Stats covers current HP, max HP, Gold, XP and the Mana figures (current/maximum) for each of the six spellbooks. He has altered the names of two of the spellbooks, Suncraft and Fiendcraft.
Skills 1 covers half of the 32 Skills.
Skills 2 covers the other half of the Skills.
Treats covers the 66 Traits. They are listed in the order in which they occur in the save game file, which is not in any way alphabetical.
Editor mixes up the Zenmaster and Valkyrie classes.

I have created an upload for both editors:
https://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/W&WEditors.zip

Inventory editing: editors don't do this. I am working on a spreadsheet for this.

You will be required to remove PCs from the party before you can edit them, this is due to the complexity of the save game files. PC records may occur several times in the same save game file. Also, the files are not perfectly understood...

Various files have been uploaded to the Ironworks thread "W&W Links". Link is:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102624
If you are registered there you can access various data files decrypted by me.
Thanks, IshadNha. First, I'm an Ironworks member but their downloads don't work for my GOG version of W&W. Second, sorry to say, yours don't either. Usually get the same old message, could not find W&W and Rorster.dat. As a matter of fact, I can't find the roster data either. Where is it? Third, what is your roster written in. I can't seem to upload it? Fourth, your W&WEdit sometimes opens an editor, but with only one character and she is not one of mine. Sorry to be so negative. I really appreciate the effort however, and I thank you sincerely for the effort you've put into this.
Roster.dat should be in the main W&W directory... Move both editors there!
I don't recall problems with an installation in C:\Program Files (x86), though that is apparently not a good place for installing programs.

I just hit all the error messages about the place, the installation is in C:\GOG Games... Roster.dat was only 120 Bytes in size, no wonder.
[Edit: this problem went away when I removed a PC from the party at the Valeia Inn. Roster.dat was then expanded to its normal size of 150KB.]

* Never open either editor until you have removed the PCs from the party, at the Inn *
You must, at least, remove all the PCs that you wish to edit. Then you might want to close the W&W game.

Roster.dat is just a straight data file, it has three sections:
(1) 60 bytes = 15 long (four digit) numbers, which give starting locations of each PC record
(2) 60 bytes = 15 long (four digit) “in party” sections. If the PC is in the party the in party section starts with a “1”.
(3) 153,480 bytes = 15 PC records of 10,232 bytes each.

If all else fails, take the Roster.dat file out of its current directory, alter it, then replace it back where it was.

WWEdit.exe: Gold must be 3,000,000 or less.
Post edited October 14, 2018 by IshadNha
IshadNha: Roster.dat should be in the main W&W directory... Move both editors there!
I don't recall problems with an installation in C:\Program Files (x86), though that is apparently not a good place for installing programs.

I just hit all the error messages about the place, the installation is in C:\GOG Games... Roster.dat was only 120 Bytes in size, no wonder.
[Edit: this problem went away when I removed a PC from the party at the Valeia Inn. Roster.dat was then expanded to its normal size of 150KB.]

* Never open either editor until you have removed the PCs from the party, at the Inn *
You must, at least, remove all the PCs that you wish to edit. Then you might want to close the W&W game.

Roster.dat is just a straight data file, it has three sections:
(1) 60 bytes = 15 long (four digit) numbers, which give starting locations of each PC record
(2) 60 bytes = 15 long (four digit) “in party” sections. If the PC is in the party the in party section starts with a “1”.
(3) 153,480 bytes = 15 PC records of 10,232 bytes each.

If all else fails, take the Roster.dat file out of its current directory, alter it, then replace it back where it was.

WWEdit.exe: Gold must be 3,000,000 or less.
Well, OK...something worked! Thank you IshadNha!!! I re-installed the editor in the W&W folder (it was there before) and this time it worked. Say what???? It did give me the error message about not finding W&W, but then it went right to the editor page. I tried making a couple of changes (the characters were in the inn, as before), restarted the game and the changes were there! Small miracle I guess, but I LOVE IT! Thank you very, very much!!!!!
Next item on the agenda is the ability to edit items in the PCs inventory...
Ironworks Forums has articles describing this. Find a PC with the item concerned, a hex editor will show the correct code for that item.
If all else fails, you can add new items to the bol files, they list monsters, items and props found in various dungeons.
I created a simple program to decrypt the contents of this sort of data file... See the ProjectBol folder in:
https://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/W&WAttachments.zip

Edit: ignore any references to "excess data", that no longer exists. Revised Instructions paragraph:
"Instructions
This program can only be run from the Command Prompt.
ProjectBol can be run from any directory containing a file called "Generic.bol".
ProjectBol can only read Bol files from Wizards & Warriors.
The printout will include the size of the copied file:
"Copied File:
Size of File: 9024
Number of objects: 140
Object means Creature, Item or Prop."
(Rest of the printout is deleted for the sake of brevity.)
So in this example, the copied file was 9,024 bytes in length."
Post edited October 15, 2018 by IshadNha
Features not common to both Editors:
WWEdit by Frederic. 2001
Name, level, role, levels in each Guild.
Mana figures (current/maximum) for each of the six spellbooks. Traits.

Features that are in common: the eight Stats, XP, max HP, current HP, Gold and levels in each Skill.

Features not covered by either Editor: items, individual spells. I am working on this with an Excel spreadsheet...
Post edited October 24, 2018 by IshadNha