It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The installer seems to have a broken post-install script that is supposed to copy some DLL files for the old Microsoft Reality Lab (Direct3D Retained Mode before it was called that) to the System32 (for 32bit windows) or SysWOW64 (for 64bit Windows) folder, but it doesn't work causing the game to not launch.

This should be fixed but in the meanwhile you can use the innosetup extractor from here (download innoextract-1.9-windows.zip):

https://github.com/dscharrer/innoextract/releases/tag/1.9

Create a new empty folder, place the innoextract.exe from the archive above in it, place the GOG offline installer next to it and open a command line window and type the command:

innoextract setup_warhammer_shadow_of_the_horned_rat_1.0_(46832).exe

This will create a bunch of files in the same folder (which is why i mentioned to make a new empty one). From the new folders enter the __support and then sys32. Select all the files and copy them to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (or System32 if you have 32bit windows). Then the game should work fine.

But this should be done as part of the InnoSetup process, InnoSetup should already have the necessary functionality and not need a separate batch script.
Hey man, that worked for me. Thanks for the help!

I'd like to add that you don't need to open command prompt and type that. You can simply drag the GOG installer and drop it ontop of the innoextract.exe file and it'll extract just fine.
Ruldra: Hey man, that worked for me. Thanks for the help!

I'd like to add that you don't need to open command prompt and type that. You can simply drag the GOG installer and drop it ontop of the innoextract.exe file and it'll extract just fine.
Ah yeah you are right i forgot this works too :-P (i use Total Commander as a file manager instead of Windows Explorer so i forgot you can do this in explorer).
badsector: The installer seems to have a broken post-install script that is supposed to copy some DLL files for the old Microsoft Reality Lab (Direct3D Retained Mode before it was called that) to the System32 (for 32bit windows) or SysWOW64 (for 64bit Windows) folder, but it doesn't work causing the game to not launch.

This should be fixed but in the meanwhile you can use the innosetup extractor from here (download innoextract-1.9-windows.zip):

Create a new empty folder, place the innoextract.exe from the archive above in it, place the GOG offline installer next to it and open a command line window and type the command:

This will create a bunch of files in the same folder (which is why i mentioned to make a new empty one). From the new folders enter the __support and then sys32. Select all the files and copy them to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (or System32 if you have 32bit windows). Then the game should work fine.

But this should be done as part of the InnoSetup process, InnoSetup should already have the necessary functionality and not need a separate batch script.
This new update for this sale also broke missions too, i can't even play the first mission without crashing at the loading screen.
thank you very much. worked for me. it appeared to crash at the mission loading screen, with the blue circle mouse pointer, but it did end up loading ok. it's surprising these kind of issues get past QA
Here is fix for missions not loading
Disable the NVIDIA overlay/NvContainer at GFE

As for stretched aspect ratio for some like me, that still needs a Wing32DLL wrapper that forces the game into 1080P and reads GDI into Opengl or directx like HeroesGL patch for HOMM 1 and 2
badsector: The installer seems to have a broken post-install script that is supposed to copy some DLL files for the old Microsoft Reality Lab (Direct3D Retained Mode before it was called that) to the System32 (for 32bit windows) or SysWOW64 (for 64bit Windows) folder, but it doesn't work causing the game to not launch.

Well I went to support with this issue and I was more less told that there was not a problem with the installer as it had been tested on multiple machines and that my request for help was the only one support had recieved, maybe if more went to support with this it could then be taken seriously and resolved?

After install and trying everything resonable to get it to launch I checked my pc files for Wing32.dll and it was missing from my window 10 pc, also installed on my XP pc which had it already but there was another file rlddf.ddl not found that came up so the game still wouldn't launch...

at this point I gave up and returned the game...

.-)
Both those dll files are provided by the installer and SHOULD have been copied to system32 folder. With both files at the correct place the game will start, but the battle window will be all black. That's because MORE dll files need to be copied to system32 which again the installer should've done.

I'll start a support ticket to notify GOG as well. More people should do this so they can take this seriously.

EDIT: GOG staff replied and said they're looking into it.
Post edited June 09, 2021 by Ruldra
Version 1.0(b) fixed it for me. Game runs fine on my windows 10 now.
Ruldra: Both those dll files are provided by the installer and SHOULD have been copied to system32 folder. With both files at the correct place the game will start, but the battle window will be all black. That's because MORE dll files need to be copied to system32 which again the installer should've done.

I'll start a support ticket to notify GOG as well. More people should do this so they can take this seriously.

EDIT: GOG staff replied and said they're looking into it.
Yep thats what I figured, I should point out though that I'm using the offline installer...

.-)
Post edited June 10, 2021 by ironsidestwo
Yes i can confirm that the installer now works properly and the files are copied (i deleted them manually, tried to run the game and it failed due to the missing files, then deleted the game files, ran the new installer which copied the files to the system32/syswow64 directory and after that the game ran fine).
The game is Working now
But GOG still needs to see the Aspect ratio issue and resolution.
a Wing32.dll wrapper on the same vein as HeroesGL for HOMM 1&2 would be perfect

they should check DxWnd dev at sourceforge about it, he knows how to deal with this game and other WinG games.

if its possible for the support to continue looking at the game, it would be perfect.
Post edited June 12, 2021 by duoranger
duoranger: But GOG still needs to see the Aspect ratio issue and resolution.
In both Nvidia and AMD drivers' control panel there should be an option to use GPU scaling with a mode that allows preserving the aspect ratio.

In my AMD GPU i have the following settings (in the Display tab, from the gear icon at the top right):

GPU Scaling: Enabled
Scaling Mode: Preserve aspect ratio
Integer Scaling: Enabled

Nvidia certainly has something similar because i used it at the past when i had an Nvidia GPU.

Depending on your monitor's native resolution you may want to disable integer scaling (though if you do that you'll get bilinear scaling which is blurrier) unless you are fine with some black borders around the game - i have a 2560x1440 monitor so 640x480 scales perfectly to it without any filtering. On a 1920x1080 monitor you'll get a 200% scaling but with some borders around.
I can confirm the installation is completely busted. The game's data folder is empty. It complains about more than just missing system32 dlls. I've tried installing through gog galaxy and the manual download. I tried the innosetup thing but that didn't solve anything.

What are you guys doing to make this run at all??