It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Even when I max out the wages and import college educated people, doctors won't work at my hospital. What's going on here?

Edit: the building has electricity and there's even an epidemic, so there's no short of patients. Is this a glitch or something?
Post edited October 23, 2011 by jamesya
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
jamesya: Even when I max out the wages and import college educated people, doctors won't work at my hospital. What's going on here?

Edit: the building has electricity and there's even an epidemic, so there's no short of patients. Is this a glitch or something?
Haven't you accidentally marked all job slots as unfillable?
jamesya: Even when I max out the wages and import college educated people, doctors won't work at my hospital. What's going on here?

DrIstvaan: Haven't you accidentally marked all job slots as unfillable?
Double checked just to make sure. The job slots are open.

I read somewhere that educated immigrants sometimes land "uneducated" jobs right off the boat. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case either. This is making the game almost unplayable. > . <
DrIstvaan: Haven't you accidentally marked all job slots as unfillable?
jamesya: Double checked just to make sure. The job slots are open.

I read somewhere that educated immigrants sometimes land "uneducated" jobs right off the boat. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case either. This is making the game almost unplayable. > . <
Is this only the case with the hospital or other places do this too? In particular, how about your clinics (I suppose you do have one or two)?
Also, did you import someone right for the hospital?
jamesya: Double checked just to make sure. The job slots are open.

DrIstvaan: Is this only the case with the hospital or other places do this too? In particular, how about your clinics (I suppose you do have one or two)?
Also, did you import someone right for the hospital?
The clinics don't have staff either. Everything else does. Plenty of journalists and priests floating around but no doctors.

Edit: and I did try importing someone directly to the hospital too.

Post edit: I just tried firing college-educated people from church and university positions and they chose to be laborers or teamsters instead of top paid engineers or doctors.
Post edited October 23, 2011 by jamesya
At university level jobs there is very strong gender discrimination. Women can't be priests, generals, doctors or professors for example while men can't be engineers or journalists
Unfortunately, I have no clue then what might be affecting your doctors. I can't recall anything that has such a negative effect on clinics/hospitals. It might indeed be a glitch.
Was it always like this with the clinics or did they have enough staff earlier (provided you did have at least one before building the hospital)?
gnarbrag: At university level jobs there is very strong gender discrimination. Women can't be priests, generals, doctors or professors for example while men can't be engineers or journalists
While that's true, jamesya tried importing someone right for the hospital, and from my experience, the game always gets the required person's gender right.
Also, he/she fired people from universities and cathedrals, so that should have supplied the hospital/clinics with male gradate workers.
DrIstvaan: Unfortunately, I have no clue then what might be affecting your doctors. I can't recall anything that has such a negative effect on clinics/hospitals. It might indeed be a glitch.
Was it always like this with the clinics or did they have enough staff earlier (provided you did have at least one before building the hospital)?
gnarbrag: At university level jobs there is very strong gender discrimination. Women can't be priests, generals, doctors or professors for example while men can't be engineers or journalists
DrIstvaan: While that's true, jamesya tried importing someone right for the hospital, and from my experience, the game always gets the required person's gender right.
Also, he/she fired people from universities and cathedrals, so that should have supplied the hospital/clinics with male gradate workers.
I'd had a clinic up and running before the hospital. Something changed—just not sure what.
Have you tried raising the wages for doctors over the wages for other university-educated jobs?
And here I am, almost 5 years later, encountering the same, never resolved issue.

I played Tropcio 1 yesterday and at some moment, all my doctors quite and found other jobs.
I soon got 1 to provide at least some health care but it wasn't enough and no one went to fill empty spots.
I tried to import one, but as soon as he came he went to work in bank. So I kicked him out and closed bank spots. So he took church job instead. I kicked him out. He became construction worker. I kicked him again. He became priest. I fired him once again and closed that spot and he took job in mine. I gave up on him and hired 2 more but it was the same with all of them. They just took some other job, mostly lower tiers but in reality anything.
If I opened more bank positions or allowed more professors, they took that job but all empty doctor spots remained unoccupied.
Any women college spots filled soon after I opened them as well, but this just didn't.

In the meantime I made doctors the most earing job on the island, 3 dollars more than general and more than 3 times more than uneducated ones but no one would take it, no matter how hard I tried. Even the last doctor quit eventually after several years.

Of course my health care plummeted and people got dissatisifed.

I might try to load up the save and block every other open spot but soemthing tells me they wouldn't take the job anyway.

It was all clinic jobs.
I though about building hospital but I felt like it would be just mroe empty positions.

Any ideas?
Simply bug?

EDIT: So apparently they will even kick out other workers to get desired non-doctor job. I tried to close every other unoccupied position and they still took job in those facilities, simply replacing some other worker who was already there.
Next step, closing all jobs on island other than doctors.

EDIT2: Yup, it's bug for sure. I just closed literally every job available to male on the island other than doctor position and still all of them rather stayed unemployed instead of taking the docotor job.
And it is not limited to 1 building. One of the clinics was built after it happened and it still doesn't get filled.

I wonder what triggers it.
Post edited June 17, 2016 by Vitek
Not everyone wants to be a doctor, that depends on their personality and political preferences. Similar thing with island educated people, they rarely want to be a priests until they get religious + somehow.