It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello everyone,

I first was a bit sad that gog did not include the content creation mod, but then I was just as happy to see this very topic. I'd like to buy KOTOR II but I would very much like to have:
- Native widescreen support
- Native controller support
- Native content recreation mod
The patch from this thread seems to give all of that.

Now I'm wondering: If i buy and install the GOG Kotor II version and then install the mod/patch from this thread - am I going to have *exactly* the steam version (except for the achievements)? Or are there still some differences?

I would rather buy from gog than from steam but it's important for me to have the best "out of the box" Kotor experience i can get.
low rated
Chieftain_Joe: If i buy and install the GOG Kotor II version and then install the mod/patch from this thread - am I going to have *exactly* the steam version
No.
Chieftain_Joe: If i buy and install the GOG Kotor II version and then install the mod/patch from this thread - am I going to have *exactly* the steam version
Hickory: No.
Thanks for your reply but would you mind to elaborate the (remaining) differences?
Post edited November 27, 2017 by Chieftain_Joe
low rated
Hickory: No.
Chieftain_Joe: Thanks for your reply but would you mind to elaborate the (remaining) differences?
I'm not going to bullet point the differences, but the GOG version is not the Steam version and the patches provided in this thread are provided by a user not by GOG or Steam.
Post edited November 27, 2017 by Hickory
Hickory: I'm not going to bullet point the differences, but the GOG version is not the Steam version and the patches provided in this thread are provided by a user not by GOG or Steam.
While i appreciate your answer, i hope you understand that this is not particulary helpful for me. Generally I would rather buy from gog than steam, but i'd still rather find some answers to my question first. I am aware that the patch in this thread is not official, but i don't see how this is relevant to my question to be honest.

So i'm still left wondering what differences/advantages I had if I either:
- buy the Steam version
- Buy the Gog version and apply the (unofficial) patch from this thread

...Apart from achievements in the steam version and the steam-necessity (obviously)
low rated
Hickory: I'm not going to bullet point the differences, but the GOG version is not the Steam version and the patches provided in this thread are provided by a user not by GOG or Steam.
Chieftain_Joe: While i appreciate your answer, i hope you understand that this is not particulary helpful for me. Generally I would rather buy from gog than steam, but i'd still rather find some answers to my question first. I am aware that the patch in this thread is not official, but i don't see how this is relevant to my question to be honest.

So i'm still left wondering what differences/advantages I had if I either:
- buy the Steam version

...Apart from achievements in the steam version and the steam-necessity (obviously)
My answer is entirely relevant to your question, which was:
"am I going to have *exactly* the steam version"

Again I tell you, no, you are not.
Chieftain_Joe: So i'm still left wondering what differences/advantages I had if I either:
- buy the Steam version

Apart from the Steam stuff you've already mentioned, the game will have the same content and the same extra bug fixes/enhancements. That aside, if Aspyr does do any further updates then there is no guarantee that they will make it here so there is that to consider. So if you're happy with that and the Steam extras (achievements, etc.) are not important to you, then there is no reason not to get the game from GOG.
high rated
@Hickory: As i'm sure you've read, I re-wrote my question in my second post to make it even more obvious that i would like to know *what* the actual differences are. I'm also pretty sure that you are fully aware that the sole statement "no, the versions are not 100,00% identical and that's all i'm going to say about it" is not particulary helpful to anyone. You could assume that I figured by now that the versions are (obviously) not byte-by-byte identical and DO have some minor differences - which is why i asked in the first place. I had the assumption that it was pretty obvious that my first question ("are the versions absolutely identical") would actually imply that I am quite sure they are not and encourage to point out the differences - and that I did not just come to get the written confirmation that *something* is definitely different. Perhaps I was wrong.

Anyway, thanks still for trying to help me.....I suppose.

@Pajama: Thanks for your answer. This is what I was assuming. I'll still wait till I finished Kotor 1 but afterwards i think i'll give the Gog version a shot :-) For the very unlikely case that the steam version will get another absolutely crucial update which I absolutely need (and for whatever reason it does not get ported to gog at all) i could still buy the game again at steam. While this would be annoying the event is highly unlikely :)
Post edited November 29, 2017 by Chieftain_Joe
low rated
Chieftain_Joe: Anyway, thanks still for trying to help me.....I suppose.
Don't patronise me.
Chieftain_Joe: Hello everyone,

I first was a bit sad that gog did not include the content creation mod, but then I was just as happy to see this very topic. I'd like to buy KOTOR II but I would very much like to have:
- Native widescreen support
- Native controller support
- Native content recreation mod
The patch from this thread seems to give all of that.

Now I'm wondering: If i buy and install the GOG Kotor II version and then install the mod/patch from this thread - am I going to have *exactly* the steam version (except for the achievements)? Or are there still some differences?

I would rather buy from gog than from steam but it's important for me to have the best "out of the box" Kotor experience i can get.
Steam version by default has all these native nice things but one negative is that it removed EAX audio options. the only way to get it back is to use the legacypc version, and manually add widescreen/TSLRCM fixes. so it becomes no different from gog version. most Steam owners are going to miss out on EAX since they just roll with default version, there's good and bad, but i just wanted to experience the game it was meant to be played by the original developers.

EAX while needing a sound card or software emulation to enable, does (imo) add immersiveness and better soundscape for the game. for me it's quite jarring to play without it once i heard the difference.
Playing on a laptop with Intel HD 520 and oh my god I could kiss you. No more crashing after character creation!
Thank you! This is the only thing that got the game working on my laptop after several hours of searching.
wanbler: Here is the latest (2015.10.15) Aspyr's Steam update for the Sith Lords.
Works on any release with 1.02b update (including GOG).

Installation:
1. Unzip the contents of the archive to the game folder
2. Delete all ATi dll libs from the game folder

If you use any FIGS official localization as base then change
"Language" string in ALI213.ini to the matching one.

Steam version has ~160mb of updated KhoMov0x.bik videos.
So, this patch comes in two different versions:
1. Full - with abovementioned videos (174 mb)
2. Light - without abovementioned videos (14 mb)

Downloads:
Full
Light
hi.. im new to this and was curious if theres instructions for this patch?
cemacar: It's a crack guys. It's not legal.
ALI213 is a Chinese crack group.
You're wrong:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2010/07/court-breaking-drm-for-a-fair-use-is-legal/
This worked for me. Thanks. using win10, 64bit