It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Is there a way to set the game so you move automatically when you use aswd (or arrows)? I don't need to use these for camera control cause I'm using a mouse.
Right now I have to hold down primary action to jump to get him to run. I tried right ctrl like it says in the manual, but it does nothing. Besides the fact that starting each motion is a jump, I can see that combat is going to be difficult if I can't run with my weapon drawn.
What am I missing here?
This question / problem has been solved by Nextilimage
I'm not sure I quite understand you. You're supposed to run when you use your movement keys by default. I remapped them to WASD through the launcher, and when I press them, he immediately runs in the direction pressed, weapon drawn or not. You shouldn't have to do anything to get him to start moving.
Try to reassign the controls in the loader maybe 'cause it shouldn't do that, the game works like any other game, just press the key forward (it's up arrow by default) no need to push down another key.
I have the same problem. I tried to reassign the keys but the result is the same. If I press up, Cutter turns in that direction, but doesn't move. Only when I press another button like jump+up or if I keep "up" pressed for at least 3 seconds Cutter moves forward. Why is this happening? On my original Outcast there wasn't this problem :-(
Post edited April 23, 2010 by Alan
This may be a bit far-fetched: I was told that the bugs which cause you to be unable to walk in mud and ride Twon-Has in the original version of Outcast on modern computers was fixed by automatically slowing down the computer in the GOG version. While it fixes those bugs for most or all players, I was told it also causes framerate problems for some. And this, again, may be fixed by using the patch developed here: http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=121&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60&sid=20dd15a4dd911071a0a945a535e596cc
The direct download link to the latest version: http://hunter.verygames.net/OutcastPatch4.zip
Now, I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem described in this thread. But, from what I've heard the "mud and Twon-Ha bug" is similar in that you can only move by jumping while you are in mud or on a Twon-Ha. So, maybe that patch could also help in this case.
Don't get your hopes up, but I think it's worth a try :)
Syrion: This may be a bit far-fetched: I was told that the bugs which cause you to be unable to walk in mud and ride Twon-Has in the original version of Outcast on modern computers was fixed by automatically slowing down the computer in the GOG version. While it fixes those bugs for most or all players, I was told it also causes framerate problems for some. And this, again, may be fixed by using the patch developed here: http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=121&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60&sid=20dd15a4dd911071a0a945a535e596cc
The direct download link to the latest version: http://hunter.verygames.net/OutcastPatch4.zip
Yeah, unfortunately the GOG version already has this patch applied. I'm wondering if it's a Win 7-specific bug, or 64-bit or what.
I'm playing around with different compatibility modes.
Now, I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem described in this thread. But, from what I've heard the "mud and Twon-Ha bug" is similar in that you can only move by jumping while you are in mud or on a Twon-Ha. So, maybe that patch could also help in this case.
Don't get your hopes up, but I think it's worth a try :)

Unfortunately this patch is already in the GOG version (it says it's already patched when you try and apply it).
I'm wondering if this is a Win 7 issue, as GOG games aren't officially supported on that platform yet.
I'm playing around with compatibility modes and seeing if I can figure something out.
Post edited April 23, 2010 by LeilaniLad
I'm getting the same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet?
Nextil: I'm getting the same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet?

Not I. Just out of curiosity, what OS are you running? Win 7 64 bit here.
Nextil: I'm getting the same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet?
LeilaniLad: Not I. Just out of curiosity, what OS are you running? Win 7 64 bit here.

The same.
Sigh, probably a Win 7 issue then. Kinda roll the dice on GOG games in Win 7 as it's not officially supported. They don't test the games on our OS.
Well shoot...
I found the solution:
Download CPU Killer.
Launch it and set the CPU limiter to 4-9% (try and find the lowest value that works).
I have mine set to 4% and it works fine now.
EDIT:
Just realized that CPU Killer is Shareware. There should be a freeware alternative available.
Post edited April 25, 2010 by Nextil
Nextil: I found the solution:
Download CPU Killer.
Launch it and set the CPU limiter to 4-9% (try and find the lowest value that works).
EDIT:
Just realized that CPU Killer is Shareware. There should be a freeware alternative available.

Really? I thought patch 4 solved CPU speed issues?
EDIT: Yup, dumping processor speed fixed it.
You don't need third party software for that, just open up Power Options, edit or create a power plan and select advanced settings. Under processor settings you can drop it to 10% or so. That worked fine for me =).
Post edited April 25, 2010 by LeilaniLad
Nextil: I found the solution:
Download CPU Killer.
EDIT:
LeilaniLad: Really? I thought patch 4 solved CPU speed issues?
EDIT: Yup, dumping processor speed fixed it.
You don't need third party software for that, just open up Power Options, edit or create a power plan and select advanced settings. Under processor settings you can drop it to 10% or so. That worked fine for me =).

Didn't see that. Thanks.
Hey, figured a way to do this in batch files (writing this in tech support faq fashion, pardon my dumbing down).
After you create a low cpu power scheme:
1. Run a cmd line window (by clicking the start button, typing cmd and hit enter)
2. type in powercfg -l > guids.txt
3. Browse to C:\Users\*your windows user*
4. Double click on guids.txt
5. Find the GUID (long string of numbers and characters) that matches the low-cpu power scheme you created and copy it.
6. Go to the root of the Outcast install directory.
7. Create a new text file (right click on an empty space, select New->Text File) and edit it (by double clicking on it).
5. Edit it like this:
powercfg -s *paste the guid you copied*
LOADER.EXE (or start.exe if you want the opening movie)
6. Save your changes and rename your text file to start.bat
7. Right click on your outcast shortcut and under target change the end from .exe to .bat
Now when you launch the game it will auto-dump you to low cpu mode.
You can create another batch file with the line:
powercfg -s *GUID of your normal power scheme*
and save it on your desktop or something.
I am going to be using this for a lot of games I am guessing, so I saved that puppy on my taskbar so I can just launch a game then click on the batch file to put my system back to normal.
LeilaniLad: Hey, figured a way to do this in batch files (writing this in tech support faq fashion, pardon my dumbing down).
After you create a low cpu power scheme:
1. Run a cmd line window (by clicking the start button, typing cmd and hit enter)
2. type in powercfg -l > guids.txt
3. Browse to C:\Users\*your windows user*
4. Double click on guids.txt
5. Find the GUID (long string of numbers and characters) that matches the low-cpu power scheme you created and copy it.
6. Go to the root of the Outcast install directory.
7. Create a new text file (right click on an empty space, select New->Text File) and edit it (by double clicking on it).
5. Edit it like this:
powercfg -s *paste the guid you copied*
LOADER.EXE (or start.exe if you want the opening movie)
6. Save your changes and rename your text file to start.bat
7. Right click on your outcast shortcut and under target change the end from .exe to .bat
Now when you launch the game it will auto-dump you to low cpu mode.
You can create another batch file with the line:
powercfg -s *GUID of your normal power scheme*
and save it on your desktop or something.
I am going to be using this for a lot of games I am guessing, so I saved that puppy on my taskbar so I can just launch a game then click on the batch file to put my system back to normal.

I just found an app called SchemeHK which lets you change power schemes on the fly on Desktop PCs through the system tray.
Post edited April 26, 2010 by Nextil