It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi all!
I've searched and searched on this forum trying to find a solution to some glitchy behavior I'm encountering with World of Xeen (CD version). Basically, as I enter/exit shops, taverns, training, etc, the game suddenly slows to a crawl and freezes, or crashes with no warning. Sometimes it happens after only 5 minutes, other times it's 30 minutes or more. This only seems to happen in the towns; if I'm in a dungeon or outdoors, I don't seem to have any issues. Sometimes the text in the inventory screen becomes garbled, or other graphical artifacts appear. Not long after, the game always locks up. I read one other post from several years back with pretty much the exact same problem, but it was never resolved. I know for sure this isn't a graphics issue, as it only happens when using the Roland LAPC/MT-32 sound setting.

Has anyone got this game to work with no instability using that setting? I'm starting to think there's some buggy sound programming in the game itself. I'm using MUNT, and I'm 100% everything is setup correctly on my PC. I can play other games using the same settings, with Might and Magic III being a perfect example.

Several posts also describe issues with the digitized speech locking the game up. I had that problem the first time I launched, but changing to IRQ 5 fixed it for me. I think that's where my particular issues deviates from problems others have experienced. If I turn the music off, or use the Soundblaster option for example, the game does not crash or lock up. That tells me my speech device and graphics are properly setup.

I don't think the music sounds particularly good using any other setting though... Routing to Virtual MIDI synth using a nice sound font sounds okay, but still not on par with the MT-32. Unless someone has a solution, my options seem to be not-so-great sound, or save often and live with the crashing.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
grantsupak: Hi all!
I've searched and searched on this forum trying to find a solution to some glitchy behavior I'm encountering with World of Xeen (CD version). Basically, as I enter/exit shops, taverns, training, etc, the game suddenly slows to a crawl and freezes, or crashes with no warning. Sometimes it happens after only 5 minutes, other times it's 30 minutes or more. This only seems to happen in the towns; if I'm in a dungeon or outdoors, I don't seem to have any issues. Sometimes the text in the inventory screen becomes garbled, or other graphical artifacts appear. Not long after, the game always locks up. I read one other post from several years back with pretty much the exact same problem, but it was never resolved. I know for sure this isn't a graphics issue, as it only happens when using the Roland LAPC/MT-32 sound setting.

Has anyone got this game to work with no instability using that setting? I'm starting to think there's some buggy sound programming in the game itself. I'm using MUNT, and I'm 100% everything is setup correctly on my PC. I can play other games using the same settings, with Might and Magic III being a perfect example.

Several posts also describe issues with the digitized speech locking the game up. I had that problem the first time I launched, but changing to IRQ 5 fixed it for me. I think that's where my particular issues deviates from problems others have experienced. If I turn the music off, or use the Soundblaster option for example, the game does not crash or lock up. That tells me my speech device and graphics are properly setup.

I don't think the music sounds particularly good using any other setting though... Routing to Virtual MIDI synth using a nice sound font sounds okay, but still not on par with the MT-32. Unless someone has a solution, my options seem to be not-so-great sound, or save often and live with the crashing.
Hello,

Haven't had a chance to give it a good play time yet but I was getting freezing originally too, even when watching the opening video when using the Roland Canvas/GS setting. I remembered some other games that had difficulty with speech using Soundblaster 16, so I tried switching the speech to just plain Soundblaster (Not Soundblaster 16) using the original IRQ 7, and that seemed to fix all issues. Tried the MT-32 option next and didn't seem to run into any issues either even when going through buildings.

I'm also using the latest DOSBox ECE (r4301) instead of the bundled GOG DOSBox, with the dosboxMM4-5.conf file edited with the following changes: "output = openglpp" and "aspect = true" and "scaler = none"

(Though you can also generate a new .conf file by running DOSBox ECE by itself for the first time[Check the DOSBox status window to see where it saves to], and there's many more options to play with if one wishes)

For my personal MIDI setup, I use Falcosoft MIDI Player with LoopMIDI to run the Sound Canvas VA and MUNT VSTi's. (BTW, the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi is also a lovely sounding option with Xeen's Roland Canvas/GS setting if one doesn't want to buy the expensive Sound Canvas VA)

I did a one time use of Coolsoft's MIDI Mapper to make sure DOSBox always default's to the correct port. (Though this should not have anything to do with freezing issues, I just find it convenient)

Hopefully this will help
Post edited February 13, 2020 by crimson_twilight
grantsupak: Hi all!

crimson_twilight: Hello,

Haven't had a chance to give it a good play time yet but I was getting freezing originally too, even when watching the opening video when using the Roland Canvas/GS setting. I remembered some other games that had difficulty with speech using Soundblaster 16, so I tried switching the speech to just plain Soundblaster (Not Soundblaster 16) using the original IRQ 7, and that seemed to fix all issues. Tried the MT-32 option next and didn't seem to run into any issues either even when going through buildings.

I'm also using the latest DOSBox ECE (r4301) instead of the bundled GOG DOSBox, with the dosboxMM4-5.conf file edited with the following changes: "output = openglpp" and "aspect = true"

(Though you can also generate a new .conf file by running DOSBox ECE by itself for the first time[Check the DOSBox status window to see where it saves to], and there's many more options to play with if one wishes)

For my personal MIDI setup, I use Falcosoft MIDI Player with LoopMIDI to run the Sound Canvas VA and MUNT VSTi's. (BTW, the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi is also a lovely sounding option with Xeen's Roland Canvas/GS setting if one doesn't want to buy the expensive Sound Canvas VA)

I did a one time use of Coolsoft's MIDI Mapper to make sure DOSBox always default's to the correct port. (Though this should not have anything to do with freezing issues, I just find it convenient)

Hopefully this will help
Thanks for giving me a couple things to try! I don't think I've played the game with the regular Soundblaster option. I'll give that a shot along with grabbing the latest Dosbox version.

Right now, I'm using the Roland Canvas/GS setting and routing to Virtual MIDI Synth. I have a SC-55 soundfont, but some of the music doesn't sound quite as good IMO as with Munt. Way better than using the Soundblaster for music though. No freezes so far with those settings.

I looked up the Falcosoft MIDI player and that looks amazing! I thought for sure it would be a mac only thing with the ability to run VST and virtual instruments.I may try that as well! Thanks!
grantsupak: I looked up the Falcosoft MIDI player and that looks amazing! I thought for sure it would be a mac only thing with the ability to run VST and virtual instruments.I may try that as well! Thanks!
Glad you checked the Falcosoft MIDI player out! I find it works very well once set up with different Presets for ease of changing VSTi's. If you're interested in trying the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi make sure to install the 32-bit version of Falcosoft MIDI player as there is no 64-bit version of that one.

On another note (and you may be aware of this already), apparently World of Xeen is one of the rare games that takes advantage of the 33 extra sound effects available with using the CM-32L set with MUNT (Instead of the MT-32 set) . I Found a thread on VOGONS detailing some of the differences in composition on the main MIDI devices. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=26745
Post edited February 13, 2020 by crimson_twilight
crimson_twilight: On another note (and you may be aware of this already), apparently World of Xeen is one of the rare games that takes advantage of the 33 extra sound effects available with using the CM-32L set with MUNT (Instead of the MT-32 set) . I Found a thread on VOGONS detailing some of the differences in composition on the main MIDI devices. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=26745
I saw this! When I setup Munt, I configured it for both the MT-32 and CM-32L. Xeen sounds the best in my opinion using the CM-32L, so it's unfortunate that setting won't work for me.

By the way, I tried your suggestions and the game still ended up crashing on me. Maybe there's something in my configuration it doesn't like. I know for sure in my case it's related to the Roland LAPC/MT-32 setting. I've been using the Sound Canvas option and haven't had a single crash.

Thanks again though!
Post edited February 15, 2020 by grantsupak
The most aggravating part of this problem is how random it is. You'll play with the settings, it'll appear to work, then the next time you try it crashes. I'll just add some observations here in case it helps anyone narrow it down in the future.

Both floppy and CD versions are affected. Swords of Xeen shares the affliction as well.

It only occurs when combining MT-32 music/fx with Sound Blaster speech. Unfortunately all the other speech options have terrible quality, and the soundtrack was composed with the MT-32/CM-32L in mind.

The choice of IRQ setting makes no difference, as long as the dosbox configuration matches the game's own settings.

Turning up the dosbox cycles is helpful, to a point. Around 8000 seems to work better than the auto setting. Increasing cycles above 10000 only seems to exacerbate the problem though.

The bug is triggered by interacting with npcs. The game will often lock up, or rarely crash to dos. Sometimes it isn't immediate, but will be precipitated by graphical corruptions or a failure to change back to the normal adventuring music after leaving.
Post edited November 08, 2021 by GeistSR
GeistSR: The most aggravating part of this problem is how random it is. You'll play with the settings, it'll appear to work, then the next time you try it crashes. I'll just add some observations here in case it helps anyone narrow it down in the future.

*snip

Turning up the dosbox cycles is helpful, to a point. Around 8000 for floppy version and 10000 for CD version seem to work better than the auto setting. Increasing cycles above 10000 only seems to exacerbate the problem though.
Interesting note about the dosbox cycles.

For myself, I've given up trying to get it to work with MT-32 or CM-32L. The General MIDI soundtrack sounds pretty amazing when used with the Roland Sound Canvas, even if it isn't the original intended soundtrack. There is a capital tone fallback bug with that option, but it's fairly easy to work around it.
https://www.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/world_of_xeen_sound_effects_issues/post3

2 things I haven't tried yet is running the game through PCem or trying with a much older version of DOSBox like the .7 or .6 series.

It's also playable through ScummVM, but with Soundblaster only at this point.
Post edited October 23, 2021 by Crimson_T
In my google searches, it apparently happens even with real MT-32 hardware, and I don't think it's a dosbox emulation issue because the same audio combination works perfectly in Might and Magic 3.

It's possibly just a bug in Xeen itself, but since certain settings do appear to affect the frequency of the crashes, there may still be some hope.
After spending an inordinate amount of time experimenting with alternatives, it's only become a bigger headache.

I've actually come to prefer some of the sound canvas music, but annoyingly the soundfonts with the best musical quality tend to wreak havoc with the sound effects. The hyper canvas for example sounds great except for the ringing telephones everywhere.

The best compromise I was able to find was the Hyper Canvas/Virtual Sound Canvas hybrid (version 2), or failing that, the masquerade55v006 soundfont. Both can be run through Virtual MIDI Synth without needing loopMIDI.