It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mistermumbles: Judging from those screenshots I think they might have taken their "old-school" stance a little too far.
Crosmando: You're saying this on the site that sells the Zork collection, Ultima 1-3, and Might & Magic 1-5, for 6$ each? Or do you just come here for the forums?
I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with anything, but okay... What I meant by that is how the game displays the buttons, one's party members (each one numbered even), and its general UI. For something relatively new this looks quite hung up on early nineties style. I have absolutely no problem with a more classic approach in games, but emulating it down to a T seems a bit strange to me.
Crosmando: You're saying this on the site that sells the Zork collection, Ultima 1-3, and Might & Magic 1-5, for 6$ each? Or do you just come here for the forums?
grviper: There's a difference between old graphics which were created in view of dire technical limitations, and "old" graphics which were created because they were cheaper.
If you're talking graphics, there's also a difference between old-school pixel art and high resolution clip art style (with a slight patchwork feel on top of it) ...

I'm not saying this game can't be as much fun as e.g. Might & Magic 3, but it certainly looks less attrative and professional to me. Legend of Grimrock, while mimicking the games of the past, at least tried to enhance the visuals and bring them up to a more modern standard.
grviper: There's a difference between old graphics which were created in view of dire technical limitations, and "old" graphics which were created because they were cheaper.
I don't think it's usually a question of expense, but of ability. Indie developers are usually just that: developers. Meaning they are programmers, not graphics artists. For non-professionals, it's much easier to make something look "acceptable" in a very low resolution than in a high one. I'm pretty sure that's the primary reason for the slew of "retro-style-graphics" indie games that are flooding the market at the moment.
Wishbone: I don't think it's usually a question of expense, but of ability. Indie developers are usually just that: developers. Meaning they are programmers, not graphics artists. For non-professionals, it's much easier to make something look "acceptable" in a very low resolution than in a high one. I'm pretty sure that's the primary reason for the slew of "retro-style-graphics" indie games that are flooding the market at the moment.
True, but once they realize they're not graphic artists and still decide to make do with their limited abilities instead of paying a real artist, then it might be a question of expense nevertheless.
Crosmando: Yes I own Frayed Knights on desura, though I despise the cartoon art-style they used it's actually a decent game. Do you know this "Jay" guy or something? You should tell him to make another game using Torque and use a normal art-style.
I actually rather like the art style of Frayed Knights, but to each his own.
Wishbone: I don't think it's usually a question of expense, but of ability. Indie developers are usually just that: developers. Meaning they are programmers, not graphics artists. For non-professionals, it's much easier to make something look "acceptable" in a very low resolution than in a high one. I'm pretty sure that's the primary reason for the slew of "retro-style-graphics" indie games that are flooding the market at the moment.
Leroux: True, but once they realize they're not graphic artists and still decide to make do with their limited abilities instead of paying a real artist, then it might be a question of expense nevertheless.
Sure, but there's a difference between "The studio won't hire a graphics artist because they feel that would raise development costs too much" and "I won't hire a graphics artist, because I'm making this game on my own in my mother's basement, and I work at McDonald's, so hiring anyone at all is not an option".
Leroux: True, but once they realize they're not graphic artists and still decide to make do with their limited abilities instead of paying a real artist, then it might be a question of expense nevertheless.
Wishbone: Sure, but there's a difference between "The studio won't hire a graphics artist because they feel that would raise development costs too much" and "I won't hire a graphics artist, because I'm making this game on my own in my mother's basement, and I work at McDonald's, so hiring anyone at all is not an option".
Fair enough, but personally I'm unlikely to spend $20 on a "I won't hire a graphics artist, because I'm making this game on my own in my mother's basement" game, because I don't earn that much myself and there's too much competition - so many more professional and attractive looking games I could buy for that. Then again, I'm not exactly in the target group either, as I prefer fast-paced Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld to turn-based Might & Magic, and maybe that's what bothers me more than the graphics (which I might actually deem nice, if this was a free or cheap amateur game, and not a mid-price commercial game).
Post edited September 21, 2012 by Leroux
Just thought I'd stop by and clarify that it isn't clipart but fantasy comics and that I don't live with my mother, much less so in her basement. ;)

Thanks all and have a great weekend!

Charles
Charles-cgr: Just thought I'd stop by and clarify that it isn't clipart but fantasy comics and that I don't live with my mother, much less so in her basement. ;)

Thanks all and have a great weekend!

Charles
Heh, I guess you should be prepared to get called out by a developer if you badmouth their game on a public forum. :D

I hope my words didn't offend you. I think I owe it to you now to at least give the demo a try, even though I doubt it will change my opinion, but you never know. What do you mean by fantasy comics? Did you draw them yourself?
Leroux: Heh, I guess you should be prepared to get called out by a developer if you badmouth their game on a public forum. :D

I hope my words didn't offend you. I think I owe it to you now to at least give the demo a try, even though I doubt it will change my opinion, but you never know. What do you mean by fantasy comics? Did you draw them yourself?
No a pro comics artist (actually a line artist and a colorist) did them. They're called Studio GFX. They're Filipinos.

Fantasy comics is basically comic book art with a fantasy theme.

I don't easily get offended ;)
Post edited September 22, 2012 by Charles-cgr
How goes the negotiations? I know you can't release the details, but maybe some hints? Would be really sweet to buy the game on GOG, if only for consolidation purposes.
Post edited September 22, 2012 by lowyhong
SSU was turned down in March. Tolknaz added the wishlist and I thought of linking to it to perhaps have an argument to get them to reconsider.

But... The pricing policy seems a bit dangerous here because not all games on Gog get the exposure to compensate the low price. Most of them have long since had their heyday and sales here are just a bonus. Not the same with a new indie game that has investments to try to recover.

A killer for me would be to have a very low price but still be forced to advertise the game on my own. That worst case scenario just doesn't add up. It means goodbye game development.

I still haven't decided when to try to reinitiate discussion, and am not at all sure theyll want to. But when/if that day comes I'll be better off with a high scoring wishlist ;)
Aw hell I think I'll just get it off Gamersgate then :P
Thanks @lowyhong.:)

Edit: removed unnecessary gibberish.
Post edited September 24, 2012 by Charles-cgr
Charles-cgr:
Charles I read your latest thread on the Codex forums, and I was wondering if you have an ETA on when you'll roll out the latest UI. I'm quite eager to play the game asap, but if you have a UI update coming up soon, I might as well wait for it first.
Post edited September 24, 2012 by lowyhong