It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So I have purchased a lot of older dosbox games, many for memory sake only, and it always bugged me that on my larger monitor, that the windows was so small, or poorly formatted when fullscreen. So I was playing around and I finally found the key to making bigger windows using the better custom scalers. In the past, the scaler would always override the window size. Here is what I set in the dosbox conf file:

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=1600x1200
output=ddraw

<...snip...>

[render]
scaler=2xsai forced

The key is to use ddraw output and the " forced" on the scaler line. Now I purposely pick window sizes with the correct 4:3 aspect ratio so the scaler works properly.

I haven't play tested it much, but it appears to work fine.
FYI, my DOSBox games look just fine in fullscreen. You don't need a window to get a DOSBox game to keep to 4:3 on a 16:9 display.
I've been mainly setting my full resolution to my native resolution and works fine. However, I also have been using OpenGL lately (which does cause delays sometimes) as the output. Never had to use a scaler for vanilla DOSBox.

Some builds have support for Direct3D if you enjoy playing with other builds. Heck, I have been messing around with the DOSBox-X build that can be quite handy for getting Windows 95/98 games to work (though even support for it is still flaky at the moment).
Post edited November 09, 2014 by Bandock
I actually like the fact that DOSBox can run in a window. A lot of old DOS games ran in 4:3 ratio mode, and most modern monitors are either in 16:9 or 16:10 ratios. That way you can see the whole game screen without it being stretched.
Wishbone: FYI, my DOSBox games look just fine in fullscreen. You don't need a window to get a DOSBox game to keep to 4:3 on a 16:9 display.
Same here, but I still prefer to set a (big) DOSBox window as the default, as that works better and more predictable on e.g. two monitor setup, easier also to decide on which monitor it is displayed (just move the window, if needed). If I want full screen anyway, I just need to press Alt-Enter.
IronArcturus: I actually like the fact that DOSBox can run in a window. A lot of old DOS games ran in 4:3 ratio mode, and most modern monitors are either in 16:9 or 16:10 ratios. That way you can see the whole game screen without it being stretched.
As said, you can set the correct aspect ratio also when running in full screen, no stretching.
Post edited November 09, 2014 by timppu
The main point of my post was that I wanted to share how to make the windows bigger with the different scalers. Every time I tried using a scaler in the past, it would shrink the window size down to 2x or 3x depending on the scaler used, which is way too small on monitor for my old eyes. I wasn't really saying that it looks better in a window or fullscreen.
timppu: As said, you can set the correct aspect ratio also when running in full screen, no stretching.
Oddly enough that often doesn't work for me with many SVGA (or higher) resolution games. Games like Earth 2140 never keep their aspect ratio for me.
qwixter: The main point of my post was that I wanted to share how to make the windows bigger with the different scalers. Every time I tried using a scaler in the past, it would shrink the window size down to 2x or 3x depending on the scaler used, which is way too small on monitor for my old eyes. I wasn't really saying that it looks better in a window or fullscreen.
You just Keep the aspect ratio you click it in the GOG setup page what annoys me is I have to Manually Turn on the Fake GUS IMHO sounds better then the standard SB16 setup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diW3-y40wP0

Goto the second half starting at 13:50
F4LL0UT: Oddly enough that often doesn't work for me with many SVGA (or higher) resolution games. Games like Earth 2140 never keep their aspect ratio for me.
If DOSBox is using the game's native resolution (rather than the desktop resolution) you will need to adjust your graphics card's GPU scaling to get the correct 4:3 output.
Arkose: If DOSBox is using the game's native resolution (rather than the desktop resolution) you will need to adjust your graphics card's GPU scaling to get the correct 4:3 output.
I actually set everything up to run in my desktop resolution but DOSBox still launches some games in their native resolution it seems (specifically higher resolution games).

And sadly Nvidia sucks hard when it comes to this stuff, I'm absolutely unable to get any results by playing around with the aspect ratio settings in the control panel. Thank God my screen allows me to set the aspect ratio. Sadly it's for some reason unable to do so automatically but it's just three presses on the remote (yeah, it's a computer screen / TV hybrid) that I can execute with one swipe so it's not that bad and I can get the proper ratio even if all software solutions fail.