It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Recently, I bought the Redneck Rampage package here, and installed it (using Wine) on my desktop computer, running Fedora 19 Linux. It runs, but is very laggy, especially when compared to when I ran it directly under DOS on a slower computer with less RAM. Right now, the command line in the desktop launcher looks like this:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/joe/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/joe/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/Redneck\ Rampage.lnk

Now I presume that this means that the Windows version of DOSBox is running the program under Wine, which is at least part of the issue. I do have the native Linux version of DOSBox installed, and I'd like to find out if anybody knows any reason why I can't just run the program directly from that, and get rid of at least one layer of complication? Yes, I know that I can always try it and find out, but I thought it was worth while asking to see if anybody else has ever tried this.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
That would be reasonable to assume, yes. I'm not familiar with DOSBOX, but I suspect you should be able to run the exe from your Linux DosBox.

This might help you.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/linux_dosbox_gog_dos_games

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34653-how-to-run-gog-dosbox-games-on-linux/
Post edited September 17, 2013 by niniendowarrior
Thanx; I don't have time for this right now, but will try it later and report back. One thing, however: I don't understand why the instructions include moving the games out of ~/.wine/drive_c because as long as DOSBox is given the proper path, it's not going to care much where it is. (I may even write a little shell script that changes to the prorgram's directory and launches DOSBox there; it might be the easiest way to go.)
sidebrnz: Thanx; I don't have time for this right now, but will try it later and report back. One thing, however: I don't understand why the instructions include moving the games out of ~/.wine/drive_c because as long as DOSBox is given the proper path, it's not going to care much where it is. (I may even write a little shell script that changes to the prorgram's directory and launches DOSBox there; it might be the easiest way to go.)
I'm guessing it's just housekeeping clean up and nothing more.
I use DBGL for dosbox games on Linux

http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

It requires java so you may not want to use it and I have found some of the more complicated can require setting up a batch file as the start command but it certainly does the job of making it easy to find and run dosbox games.
You can use innoextract to extract DOS game files from GOG installers, that way you don't need to install under Wine. :)
You'd probably be better off just creating a Bash script that runs the dosbox.conf file using a native DOSBox installation (I haven't used Fedora since it was called Red Hat, and I still have my Red Hat 9 discs!), although you will of course likely need to tweak the conf file slightly so that the paths to the various directories and disc images are correct.

So in your dosbox.conf

mount C "~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/" (add to this to find wherever your game is installed)

Modify any mounting lines for CD images as well accordingly.

Your batch file would then simply read:

#!/bin/bash
dosbox ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/ [and wherever the DOSbox conf file is located]

Of course, you can simplify the paths a little by following Arkose's advice and unpacking the files using innoextract or simply copying it out of the WINE directory into a more accessible location (I have my DOS games in ~/DOSGames).