It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Found this on the rpgcodex forum .

Original source : https://lilura1.blogspot.hu/2017/10/The-Best-Year-for-PC-Role-Playing-Games.html
There you have the two best open world RPGs (Daggerfall & Morrowind), the two best hack n slash games (Diablo & Diablo II), the three best pure RPGs (Fallout, Fallout 2 & Arcanum), the two best party-based RPGs (Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II), the best toolset (Neverwinter Nights: Aurora), the best tactical turn-based game (Jagged Alliance 2), the best story-based RPG (Planescape: Torment), the three best action RPGs (Gothic, System Shock 2 & Deus Ex), and the greatest PC game of all-time (Deus Ex). Nothing beats this grouping.
So much awesomeness in just one paragraph...!
Rpgs have always been awesome and always will be. From oldies like bards tale, arena, might and magic to middles like baldur's gate, ice wind Dale and Gothic and new ones like Witcher and time-spanning like wizardry and ge re-branding like alpha protocol, you'll find something great to play from the early 80s to today.
Fans of traditional CRPGs are usually divided into two groups; those who think 1985-1993 was the "golden era", and those who think 1996-2002/3 was the golden era. Both groups tend to agree that the mid-90's were terrible for CRPG's (due to the advent of true 3d which disrupted things), it was like the genre just ceased to exist. And of course the early to mid 2000's is what RPG Codex calls "the decline". The recent resurrection began with Kickstarter and Wasteland 2/Pillars/Original Sin etc some years back now.
Post edited October 29, 2017 by Crosmando
Widespread PC gaming is only ~35 years old, so picking nearly half of that time frame and calling it "best"...
I hope RPG veterans on GoG General enjoy the - rather brisk - walk down memory lane.

Divine Divinity attempts to be a hybrid of Baldur's Gate and Diablo II, doesn't manage to be as good as either
You're about to cross some fuckin' lines.
Yeah, the author also claims that NWN2:MotB is better than Planescape "in every single way." I agree that it's excellent but better than PST in every way?

Also, they continue the "Deus Ex is the best PC RPG ever made" thing which, ok, I get it, nostalgia, but that's just indefensible. It's your favorite? Great. But it's not that good.
OneFiercePuppy: Yeah, the author also claims that NWN2:MotB is better than Planescape "in every single way." I agree that it's excellent but better than PST in every way?

Also, they continue the "Deus Ex is the best PC RPG ever made" thing which, ok, I get it, nostalgia, but that's just indefensible. It's your favorite? Great. But it's not that good.
I think this

There is a reason Lionheart is ignored and almost entirely forgotten: it's because it's shit. I mean, the Barcelona hub is ok but it just falls apart after that. Check out the main menu posted below, too. Could a title screen be any lamer than that? What is that king even doing? What a retard.

is the most offensivly stupid paragraph. I do admit - after Barcelona the game does go downhill, but it's defiantely never "shit", and that Barcelona part is not "ok" it's bloody brilliant. And getting hung up on a picture in the main menu? Seriously? I don't even see anything particularly wrong with that art :P

But then again I don't like the Infinity Engine games and I think Gothic is just an utter unplayable mess, so what do I know :D
Breja: But then again I don't like the Infinity Engine games and I think Gothic is just an utter unplayable mess, so what do I know :D
<gasp> You don't like Baldur's Gate 2? Boo is heartbroken. See his little snuffles? A giant space hamster of proper size would shed a tear which would wash away the grime and villany of your disregard but Boo is miniature so you are spared this time.

If the author considers Diablo an RPG (it isn't) then they really need to include TIE Fighter as an RPG too (it isn't) since that was possibly the best space sim to come out of the 90s and at least as strong a contender as Deus Ex for "Best PC game ever".

Man, how did I not know you didn't like IE games? That's like not knowing your neighbor is one of those aliens from They Live. Sure you go to work like the rest of us but you're clearly not human.
OneFiercePuppy: <gasp> You don't like Baldur's Gate 2? Boo is heartbroken. See his little snuffles? A giant space hamster of proper size would shed a tear which would wash away the grime and villany of your disregard but Boo is miniature so you are spared this time.
Well, I never actually played 2. I played the first one, the first Icewind and I didn't like either, so I skipped the sequels. I also never managed to froce myself beyond the morgue in Planescape.

OneFiercePuppy: Man, how did I not know you didn't like IE games? That's like not knowing your neighbor is one of those aliens from They Live. Sure you go to work like the rest of us but you're clearly not human.
To be clear- I don't hate them, I don't even think they're bad. But for whatever reason I can't get into them I can't have fun playing them. They feel cluttered somehow, awkward and unintiuitive. I always feel like I'm trying to steer a brick upriver when playing them. I know I'm probably not making a very clear case, but I never could quite explain, even to myself, why I can't get into those games, despite liking RPGs and tabletop D&D. But I recognise that to those who don't have that problem and find playing them a breeze, they surely provide a shitload of perfect D&D content.
Post edited October 29, 2017 by Breja
Wasn't PC gaming almost dead from 2005 to 2010?

Until digital distribution became more popular?

Aside from very few, very popular games like WoW and CS.
Breja: To be clear- I don't hate them, I don't even think they're bad. But for whatever reason I can't get into them I can't have fun playing them. They feel cluttered somehow, awkward and unintiuitive. I always feel like I'm trying to steer a brick upriver when playing them.
That's how I felt playing tabletop Warhammer 40k. I love the setting and lore, and I even enjoy playing board games as sprawling as Axis and Allies (No, I can't play Campaign for North Africa, that's a bridge too far) but I just can't enjoy WH40k as an actual game. But Battletech? Man, I still have a ~100cmx140cm vinyl hexmap and I could probably still approximate damage counters for every Star League 'Mech, from memory. God damn, I'm a dork :P

I can only imagine how hard it would be to enjoy those games if the UI felt awkward or obstructionist. I'm trying *so hard* to love this new Divinity: Original Sin 2 game that I play weekly in MP with TET (remember him?) but man, that game sucks the fun out with almost every click.
low rated
Breja: But then again I don't like the Infinity Engine games and I think Gothic is just an utter unplayable mess, so what do I know :D
OneFiercePuppy: <gasp> You don't like Baldur's Gate 2? Boo is heartbroken. See his little snuffles? A giant space hamster of proper size would shed a tear which would wash away the grime and villany of your disregard but Boo is miniature so you are spared this time.
(Slight BG2 spoiler somewhere in this post)

I've decided that I really don't like the IE games either. In my case, the biggest issue is that they combine the flaws of turn-based and real-time combat while lacking both the rhythm of turn-based and the fluidity of real-time.

There's also some other issues:

BG1: Much of the game takes place at low levels, and it takes too long to reach level 2. Low level AD&D is not fun, because attacks keep missing, and your characters can get killed by one attack that decides to hit (and, to make matters worse, the death's door rule is not implemented for whatever reason).

BG2: Way too much dialog, including some related to time critical quest events, that is initiated by the game (rather than by the player). Also, way too many time sensitive quests, and it's easy to get involved with multiple quests at once, and you can't easily control that. Also, the selection of recruitable characters has some gaps, like not having a basic thief who can level up and be used throughout the entire game, and not having a fighter/mage of any sort, plus the fact that the romance options are not balanced for different types of character (3 for straight males, 1 for straight females (with someone who isn't the nicest IIRC), and no non-straight romances; I would have preferred for that aspect to be cut entirely rather than implemented in this sort of biased fashion).

Edit: A couple other issues:
* You can't control your characters directly. The only way to get your characters to move is to click with the mouse and hope the pathfinding does not misbehave. The arrow keys only serve to move the camera, not your character. Furthermore, characters don't stick together when you do move them. (Ultima 6 handled this much better.)
* When you die, there is no way to see the combat log. This means that there's often no way to figure out *how* you died, and therefore no way to learn from your mistakes (or bad luck).
Post edited October 29, 2017 by dtgreene
DaCostaBR: Wasn't PC gaming almost dead from 2005 to 2010?
It was just resting.