It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The fairytale journey just got a new dimension!

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power, Frozenbyte’s first venture into 3D gameplay in the Trine series, is available now for Windows (with a Mac and Linux version coming in the future) DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount!

From the very beginning, the Trine series was known for being a great physics platformer with gorgeous, colorful graphics and a fairytale atmosphere. The series’ third instalment returns with all those qualities and tosses in a new gameplay dimension - but that's not the only thing Frozenbyte introduces in Trine 3. The brand-new single-player focused adventures called Lost Pages, aimed to be the ultimate test of skill, will require perfect platforming technique and puzzle-solving cleverness.

This game comes complete with GOG Galaxy support for achievements, as well as the Original Soundtrack, online and local co-op, and the prettiest platforming levels that money can buy.

The new Frozenbyte puzzle platformer gets a new dimension in Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power DRM-free at GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Thursday, August 27, 2:59PM GMT.

Stream watch:
The totally awesome ScreamingJoypad and MegapiemanPHD will tackle Trine's 3D release at Twitch.tv/GOGcom tonight - that is, Thursday, August 20th - at 8pm GMT (10pm CEST/4pm EDT/1pm PDT), in between streams of awesome D&D classics. Make sure to tune in!
HaaYaargh: It was definitely a bountiful week. Next week won't be worse :)
O.O

Yikes...but I only have 24 hours per day!
CharlesGrey: I get the impression this is more of a "2 1/2 D" type deal, with a 3D world but similar gameplay as the previous releases in the series. Either way, looks good; will definitely check it out in the future. ( After I've tried and completed my copy of Trine 2. :P )
daaceking: colourful! and expensive...
CharlesGrey: Is it? Looking at the screenshots and trailer, I'd say this goes well beyond the scope and production value of the average Indie release. If the game also offers a decent amount of content, then 20-ish bucks seems quite moderate as a price point.

( But I agree, it's definitely colourful. Some might even say trippy. :D )
The gameplay is very much in the same vein as before. It looks, feels, and sounds like a Trine game, except you can go a certain distance forward and back on the third plane. The camera moves, but doesn't rotate; it's not chase cam.

Think of the game world as a series of corridors: some corridors run east-west, and you can also go back and forth between the north and south walls of the corridor; and some corridors run north-south, and you can also go back and forth between the east and west walls. You can't leave the defined corridors.
HaaYaargh: It was definitely a bountiful week. Next week won't be worse :)
Luned: O.O

Yikes...but I only have 24 hours per day!
You better come up with something to make your day longer over the weekend, because you WILL need those extra hours next week :)
HaaYaargh: You better come up with something to make your day longer over the weekend, because you WILL need those extra hours next week :)
Well, we are still waiting for this wish to be fulfilled.
watched the stream showcase with devs and I was very impressed with how beautiful the game was, gameplay seemed easy and a whole lot of fun. There were some glitches with coop members becoming invisible perhaps after a lag spike, but the devs were on it and making notes for fixes asap.

definitely on my wish list, now all i have to do is convince my friends to get it too so we can play

for those interested in watching actual gameplay here's the link:

http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/v/11919509
When Trine 3 was announced, i was very excited and hoped for a good game (and a purchase if reviews confirm it being good). But that's the past. How does the present look like?

Trine 3 is out since yesterday, but so far almost no reviews of the finished thing are to be found... yet. Also, not a single customer review here on GOG as of now. However, the game seems to get a solid whacking over at Steam. At the time of writing, the nine most helpful customer reviews there are negative -- a common criticism made is the game being way too short for the asking price. I guess i'll wait for some major discount before grabbing Trine 3. It's a shame, because i really love Trine 1+2 and was looking forward for Trine 3...
Post edited August 21, 2015 by elgonzo
HaaYaargh: You better come up with something to make your day longer over the weekend, because you WILL need those extra hours next week :)
JMich: Well, we are still waiting for this wish to be fulfilled.
I am still waiting on you to break the laws of physics, JMich :P
deleted
Outrageous pricing for short game. 3 hours for this price? Thanks.....

Never would have thought I'd be disappointed by a release I've been waiting for a long time.
JMich: Well, we are still waiting for this wish to be fulfilled.
JudasIscariot: I am still waiting on you to break the laws of physics, JMich :P
Ah, but the laws of physics do not preclude the possibility of there being more hours in a day. :) The number of hours in a day are the result of the Earth's current complex orbital dynamics around the sun, however should the Earth's dynamics change in the future it would be possible to have longer days with more hours. This could be done by altering the Earth's rotational speed and/or by changing the distance between the Earth and sun or other changes. Such changes would be difficult no doubt but nothing is impossible. It just depends on to what extent and how much effort one would be willing to put into making it happen.

Now, many might think such an effort is just permanently impossible but that is closed minded "no can do" thinking. GOG managed to get Star Wars games in the store including the legendary X-Wing series which was arguably a much more difficult feat than altering the Earth's orbital dynamics.

I'm just saying... :)
zeroxxx: Outrageous pricing for short game. 3 hours for this price? Thanks.....

Never would have thought I'd be disappointed by a release I've been waiting for a long time.
Platformers are usually short, but 3 hours does sound outrageous, especially when Trine isn't a ~pure~ platformer.
- Linux version, + regional pricing ... not really a good sequel.
I'm a little curious as some folks are saying the new game is only a few hours long as to just how in depth they got into the game and whether they just ran through it as fast as possible like a speed run, or if they stopped to find every object and accomplish everything the game has to offer including finding all secret areas or bonus goodies etc.?

I ask because it took me 51 hours to complete "Trine 2 The Complete Story" as a completionist attempting to find everything and I did miss a few things. I'm sure someone could run through the game as fast as possible not caring about all the upgrade items and hidden areas etc. and maybe finish it under 10 hours or less, maybe even a couple hours, but ultimately that's missing a huge part of what a company puts into a game doing such.

So I'm curious is this game 3 hours long seeing every possible thing there is to see, or is that going through the game on a concorde jet without stopping to smell the roses? Normally I would defer to http://howlongtobeat.com for that but nobody has input enough data there for it to be useful yet.

Since Trine 2 gave me 51 hours of gameplay, for a sequel I expect an equal or greater amount of gameplay personally for my personal game playing style.

UPDATE:

Actually, nevermind... I did some of my own research on the Steam forums and reviews for the game and found a lot of people complaining the game is far too short, most people claiming between 3-7 hours including completionist runs, as well as indicating the tech tree is gone, the character skills and capabilities are dramatically reduced and other factors all of which seem very disappointing. The final verdict though is directly from the developers at Frozenbyte themselves who posted information to the public in full brutal honesty, essentially saying that they bit off way more than they could chew, burned through their development budget far too quickly and had no more money to fully realize the entire scope of the game they intended to make:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/319910/discussions/0/528398719797223737/

In short, they admit the game is much shorter than they intended but they still feel it is a good game.

From what I've seen in various reviews though suggests that Trine 3 at least as it stands now as a game and at the price being asked is a "pass" at least for me. It also sounds like due to the failure of this game they wont be developing further sequels. Pity, as I generally do not care for platformer games but Trine and Trine 2 opened me up to the possibility that someone could create platformer games that were still fun, and I enjoyed both of those.

Now back to my regularly scheduled FPS/RTS/RPG I guess. :) I'll probably pick up Trine 3 when it bottom barrel's in price or lands in a Bundlestars bundle or something someday just to see it firsthand I guess.
Post edited August 23, 2015 by skeletonbow
JudasIscariot: I am still waiting on you to break the laws of physics, JMich :P
skeletonbow: Ah, but the laws of physics do not preclude the possibility of there being more hours in a day. :) The number of hours in a day are the result of the Earth's current complex orbital dynamics around the sun, however should the Earth's dynamics change in the future it would be possible to have longer days with more hours. This could be done by altering the Earth's rotational speed and/or by changing the distance between the Earth and sun or other changes. Such changes would be difficult no doubt but nothing is impossible. It just depends on to what extent and how much effort one would be willing to put into making it happen.

Now, many might think such an effort is just permanently impossible but that is closed minded "no can do" thinking. GOG managed to get Star Wars games in the store including the legendary X-Wing series which was arguably a much more difficult feat than altering the Earth's orbital dynamics.

I'm just saying... :)
#rekt