It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated

"At the same time, since the process started we have welcomed nearly twice as many new team members, and currently hold 20 open positions.”
darktjm: So, no net loss in employee count and still hiring (at least according to an unnamed gog official)? I'm not sure I should be worried (well, other than being worried that there may be fewer games to add to my backlog, I'm not super worried in the first place). This seems to contradict what the ex-employees have to say (to Kotaku), though. Maybe they got an ambiguous generic form letter/prepared speech, the likes of which gog is apparently known for.

This is not evidence of a "mass" layoff prior to death, at least not yet. The group that they keep in a separate room to carry on the torch in the final days tends to be a much smaller percentage.

Keep on talking about how the company has already failed, though. I'm sure that will boost this site's popularity.
Look at their careers page an see what the very first job listing is for

Head of Software Engineering for GOG Galaxy

Yeah does that sound 'healthy'
Elmofongo: So either they completely archive this whole site for the customers that have a library, or they pay back every customer all the money they have spent over the years in this site, or at least a flat payment of 1000 dollars to every longtime customer.
That's... not how it works. That's not how anything works.
Linko64: Maybe
Okay some GOG employees are keenly aware of the challenges GOG faces in the future. I'm not sure I would include GOG's management in that statement though.
Post edited February 26, 2019 by BKGaming
I think GOG should lay off the stupid manager(s) that made those stupid decisions in past two years.

And, the homepage of GOG is still full of bugs, unfixed.
satoru: Head of Software Engineering for GOG Galaxy

Sure. Why not? Many projects go on without a dedicated employee in that position. That doesn't mean there aren't people managing the project. It doesn't mean there's nobody in that position: the current dedicated employee in that position may also want to do something different (retire, or anything less stressful than herding cats). I spent two years at a company waiting for them to finally hire a replacement for me so I could go ruin my life elsewhere.

Then again, a fast food establishment that closed down a block from where I usually hang out still has has its "now hiring" message even though it's been closed for half a year now. I don't use the "they're hiring" as my sole evidence. I use the fact that they are still releasing games and the statement that their employee count didn't go down, as well.
high rated
BKGaming: Not that I keep up on this as well as some people here, but didn't they change how Gwent's financials were reported in 2018 compared to 2017 which inflated GOG's revenue in 2017? I remember reading something about this. The report also explains 2018 had "ongoing expansion of the development team and upscaling of development activities at CD PROJEKT S.A. and GOG sp. z o.o." compared to 2017.

Which is probably related to Galaxy ( the development of Galaxy's back-end [ie dev portal]), Gwents MP back-end (also handed by GOG reportedly), and other things like the site redesign.

So yea all of that probably played a large part. You typically do bleed money when you are trying to quickly build up and expand. But it is also worth saying that the site redesign is only one part of GOG's overall problems, and as I've said before GOG has the most to lose from the Steam vs Epic battle, and GOG is too hands on to survive at a 12% revenue share and probably to far behind to make enough changes at this point to do so. It's clear from this report, if accurate, that GOG employees are keenly aware of the challenges GOG faces in the future.
Reading into the financial statements...not really. The changes were very minor and didn't substantially affect any of the financials.

Two things have primarily hurt GoG's profitability:
1) Lower sales from CDPR's own games as Witcher 3 is on the way out and GWENT was not the easy revenue replacement it was hoped for. Not to mention Thronebreaker. The sudden drop in sales of CDPR's own products hurt.
2) The value of the U.S. dollar which buys about half of GoG's games.

That said, read between the lines of the Kotaku article.
It seems that have hired more than they laid off. They, of course are worried about this new push about the size of developer cuts. And in anticipation are adjusting their focus to presumably more profitable positions.

We'll have to see what the March 21 report will have to say about Q4. I don't trust Kotaku to get the story right anyway and when they seemingly hype the layoffs when the body of the article seemingly says they have hired more than they have laid off, I find it hard to trust Kotaku's judgement of the overall financial situation. Especially since Kotaku didn't even mention last year's publicly released reports. Typical "quality" reporting from that rag...
Linko64: Maybe
BKGaming: Okay some GOG employees are keenly aware of the challenges GOG faces in the future. I'm not sure I would include GOG's management in that statement though.
I wish i could insert a Twin Peaks Gif right here
As much as I look at Kotaku, I hope this is them just taking advantage of the current gaming news trend of layoffs. I appreciate what Kotaku does, but I do not want GOG to crumble from poor press.
WryFlavoredBread: As much as I look at Kotaku, I hope this is them just taking advantage of the current gaming news trend of layoffs. I appreciate what Kotaku does, but I do not want GOG to crumble from poor press.
Given Jason's push for unions, which the UK arm of a union is partly run by a Kotaku writer, I'm sure this report was purely down to giving the public news. Purely.

;)
satoru: Look at their careers page an see what the very first job listing is for

Head of Software Engineering for GOG Galaxy

Ouch, yah... Galaxy was on a roll with 1.2... then it's been ages since it's seen any real updates... kept waiting for 1.3, but... wow, that's not a good sign if they don't have a head of software engineering :(
high rated
linuxvangog, Konrad, maladr0Id, and Lt_Alenko seem to be at least some of the folks laid off, all of their accounts are non-functional. There's a lot of reasons why GOG's had a rough time, but I see that much of it is related to the wider economic situation, which has been hitting leisure industries like gaming pretty hard. I'm actually pretty relieved that I went into working for the government instead of the gaming industry (although the economic downturn is only a part of that).
Eh. Businesses have their up and down cycles, and over time some positions tend to be made redundant or unnecessary. I'm not particularly worried yet.

Call me when GOG loses half their staff. Until then, no gloom and doom from me.
Post edited February 26, 2019 by Mr.Mumbles
Johnathanamz: All gog.com needs to do is stop GOG Connect.

PC gamers who want the PC versions of the video games that they have on Steam should purchase them again from gog.com if they want those video games, not be free loaders.
Linko64: This is probably the furthest thing from the truth. GOG Connect is a tiny amount of games.
Exactly! I was lucky that I had 2 games (SOMA and Limbo) on GOG Connect during my ~3 years on GOG— and my Steam library is ridiculously tiny. And because I like GOG so much, I even bought XCOM: Enemy Unknown on GOG again athough I already had it on Steam.

Compare the 2 Connect games I’ve got to the 6 or so free giveaways I got during the same 3 years.
This is just reckless speculation, but I doubt GoG is anywhere near folding. I can think of one thing they would try changing well before that.

Right now, GoG supplements the sales of games within Europe by both paying VAT and offering the "fair price package". If I were to guess, and GoG were forced to become more competitive, I'd expect that at the very least, they might start charging VAT in Europe. They would almost have to if they felt forced to reduce their cut below 30%.
Symphony8: Who after reading this thread has started to download all their games?

I predict a server crash in 3 ... 2 ... 1
I run a gogrepo batch file almost every day to automatically backup my games and all latest updates. I’m not worried about this particular problem at all. My slow connection always pushed me to backup the games I bought because I can’t download e.g. the 86 GB of Kingdom Come Deliverance “just on a whim” with my 11 Mbit/s connection. And I’m aware that there are quite a lot of people who are even far less lucky with their own connection bandwidth.