It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

KiNgBrAdLeY7: People who think, analyze and are of age, rarely follow the press (in whatever form).
Um... no. We just follow more press, ideally with opposite points of view and agendas.
low rated
satoru: snip
RWarehall: Read the financial statements. They explain exactly what was going on through the year.
To call actual numbers "nonsensical" is what I call nonsensical...

You really know absolutely nothing about investors nor investment which is clear from all the GoG-bashing posts you keep making.

Investors clearly care about the past, because it is a good indication of whether a company is in a good position to rebound. They also care that the majority of GoG's profits every year usually comes from the 4th quarter which we haven't seen the results for.

Yet here you are asserting how horrible 2019 is for GoG based on an article that said GoG did very well in January. Or did you even bother to read the article? And as I've mentioned above, anyone claiming to know how well GoG is doing in February while we are still in February is not someone to be believed.

GoG sold more non-CDPR games for dollars in 2018 than any quarters before. This is a very positive sign. They got bit because the majority of those games were sold in U.S. dollars as the value of the PLN went up in comparison to it. Meaning those increased sales weren't as profitable because of exchange rates. They got hit by a currency fluctuation. On top of that, they invested in upgrading their network infrastructure. Neither is a bad trend.

What you don't get, because you clearly don't want to get it, is that GoG as actually selling more games than ever before once you take CDPR's games out of the equation. Their sales revenues are growing in that department. They are selling games. Their sales are working. But you would know that if you had bothered to read the financial reports...
The entirely of 2018 shows

1) negative growth
2) negative profit

Thatis the history that is relevant. Not how much money you made in 2012 because the Witcher2 came out

Not how much money you made in 2015 when the WItcher3 came out

Is the Witcher 4 coming out in 2019? Then the money gog made in 2015 is utterly irrelevant.

Looking at the past is only relevant when looking towards future growth and sucess of existing strategies. And what is clear in 2018

1) negative year over year growth in revenue
2) negative year over year profits and in fact in the red with no discernable reason or one time transactions to account for such negative profits over all 3 quarters
3) existing strategies are failing

I mean if you wanna stick your head in the sand and pretend everything is roses becauase they happened to make money in 2015 that's fine. Investors aren't looking at 2015. They're looking at 2018 and saying "wtf is this, there's no growth, no revenue, negative profit, and you have no business plan to get out of the red"
high rated
satoru: snip
You couldn't have your facts more wrong...
2018 has seen significant revenue growth when you take away CDPR products.
The negative profits are from two known factors. Currency rates swing and very well may swing back and the push for network infrastructure is also an R&D effort adding networking capabilities to GoG which are thus helpful for the future.

But hey keep spouting off the same things without reading the financial reports...if you did you wouldn't be claiming there is "no discernible reason". Those reasons are clearly explained in the financial reports.

Existing strategies show a lot of promise but you just want to spout off doom and gloom and want GoG to make ridiculous changes at your demand.

You do know that investors will only look at CDP as a whole right? Because that is the stock one can buy? And CDP is doing great! History has shown that with Cyberpunk2077's release it should bring sizable profits to GoG as well. Cyberpunk2077 is one of the most talked about games. CDP and GoG are fine.

And as it relates to the past, investors can read through the numbers, understand the trends and react to those and the reasons they exist. And investors would be particularly dumb not to look into a historical track record. You are clearly not an investor...
Post edited February 27, 2019 by RWarehall
low rated
Kelefane: The gaming industry is becoming more and more cutthroat as the weeks and months go by. You have Epic trying to come out like gangbusters being the new bully on the block telling Steam they aren't the only big boy in town anymore. Steam will fire back at some point im sure with their own ammo. This usually causes the stores under them to suffer indirectly. But its time to adapt.

Maybe its time GOG did its own new exclusives. Cyperpunk for example should only be sold here on GOG.

And you have certain shills who write for these gaming websites who loves to spread false rumors and lie about certain platforms. Or at the very least, stretch the truth to the point of hyperbole with fearmongering and smearing.

In the end, I wouldn't trust the word of these clickbait gaming websites and their biased shill writers. For all we know, Epic or someone else could be paying these writers to make false reports. I'd always wait until GOG themselves make an official statement.
Can anyone explain how is Epic a serious competitor to Steam? I get it that they attract devs by taking a smaller cut but the customers? Why would anyone ditch Steam for Epic? A few exclusives but what else?

I've seen no price difference between the 2, EG seems to be nothing but a poor man's Steam.
Post edited February 27, 2019 by BleepBl00p
Kelefane: The gaming industry is becoming more and more cutthroat as the weeks and months go by. You have Epic trying to come out like gangbusters being the new bully on the block telling Steam they aren't the only big boy in town anymore. Steam will fire back at some point im sure with their own ammo. This usually causes the stores under them to suffer indirectly. But its time to adapt.

Maybe its time GOG did its own new exclusives. Cyperpunk for example should only be sold here on GOG.

And you have certain shills who write for these gaming websites who loves to spread false rumors and lie about certain platforms. Or at the very least, stretch the truth to the point of hyperbole with fearmongering and smearing.

In the end, I wouldn't trust the word of these clickbait gaming websites and their biased shill writers. For all we know, Epic or someone else could be paying these writers to make false reports. I'd always wait until GOG themselves make an official statement.
BleepBl00p: Can anyone explain how is Epic a serious competitor to Steam? I get it that they attract devs by taking a smaller cut but the customers? Why would anyone ditch Steam for Epic? A few exclusives but what else?

I've seen no price difference between the 2, EG seems to be nothing but a poor man's Steam.
They don't. But they are pretending to be. As things sit right now, Epic couldn't hold Steams jockstrap.
Darn...
https://www.gog.com/forum/general_archive/the_end_of_gog_via_steam_etc/page1/url]
Darn...
I'm having Flashbacks.
Don't leave us GOG you're our only hope. I wish to play old games until I am too old and senile to realize they aren't new games.
:*(
Post edited February 27, 2019 by KOCollins
MajicMan: Get Woke. Go Broke.

GoG pansies pissing their panties over a couple of joke tweets and apologizing to game urinalist and dumping on their own community and customers was a brilliant idea.

The way GoG treated Linko was such brilliant and amazing progressive management.

Also, GoG curation is total joke. GoG declines every single sports game and they decline highly-rated, successful games that are completely patched and running smoothly. At the same time, they push kickstarter garbage by unknown and unproven developers.

Having no set standards or guidelines and allowing a handful of morons to arbitrarily approve and decline game submissions is really working out well.

Galaxy. Removing all the stand alone game installer editions of games and forcing Galaxy mandatory was genius. Also, only making mention of the change in the forums was another explosion of brilliance. Making Galaxy the default installation on a site that is supposed to be about DRM-Free games was also a stroke of genius.

The people GoG should be laying off is the entire management team(s) and the entire curation team.
QFT, Nicely put, I completely agree.
goral: QFT, Nicely put, I completely agree.
I'm wondering am I missing something? My offline installers are still there for my games. As far as I can tell I don't need galaxy. What did I miss?
goral: QFT, Nicely put, I completely agree.
KOCollins: I'm wondering am I missing something? My offline installers are still there for my games. As far as I can tell I don't need galaxy. What did I miss?
Mine are too but there are games that don't work without it (like Gwent and some games with DRM). Plus the access to it is worse than it was before (it's obscured and more clicks are necessary), the installers are in parts, etc. etc, Anyway, I quoted the entire thing because it was faster, the rest is entirely true though.
Post edited February 27, 2019 by goral
goral: Mine are too but there are games that don't work without it (like Gwent and some games with DRM). Anyway, I quoted the entire thing because it was faster, the rest is entirely true though.
Thanks for the clarification! :)

Did you forget about the bevy of games that only GoG sell e.g Swat 4 or their attempt to have a store exclusive in Thronebreaker (and timed for Project Warlock)

Cyberpunk only being sold on GoG would just damage the margins of Red, which is a far bigger asset to CDP
high rated
Be it inept web design, asinine sales concepts, capitulation to outrage culture, or the ignorant, contemptible curation... there's enough going wrong here that I can't blame anyone for catastrophising.

And no one at GOG has done anything to belay the fears that have been mounting.

I don't know where things are going, but whether or not the sky is actually falling, the incompetence on display here is astonishing.
Ive been saying it for a few months; the gaming bubble is bursting. They've finally reached critical mass from investors, and can't sustain that impossible growth that the business has seen over the last 6-10 years. All the big corporations are hitting the ceiling. Investors don't care about realistic growth, but short term ROI. So when a company straps on the rocket boosters it's great. As soon as the growth stops (not even reverses, just stops) everyone jumps off and goes on to the next thing. If GOG or CDP are lost to the bubble bursting, it would be sad, especially if EA or Activision survive it with bellends like Bobby Kottick at the helm. Sadly, being profitable isn't enough now, and that's really garbage. If you're not making all the money ever printed in the world, you're in danger of complete failure. Publicly traded is always the wrong way to go for a company that wants to continue to thrive because indefinite growth is unsustainable.
goral: Mine are too but there are games that don't work without it (like Gwent and some games with DRM). Plus the access to it is worse than it was before (it's obscured and more clicks are necessary), the installers are in parts, etc. etc, Anyway, I quoted the entire thing because it was faster, the rest is entirely true though.
The installers have always been in parts for bigger games. And only Gwent at this time requires Galaxy. I'm all for getting the truth out, and there's little of it in your fearmongering of Galaxy at this point.
Post edited February 27, 2019 by paladin181
GoG really needs to go back to recsuing Older Titles. It seems like weeks can go by with an old game poping up just DLC for a random game i never had intrest in. I would hate to see this store disapper.
high rated
This is just another click bait garbage article from shitaku to get some clicks. I'm sure those layoffs have nothing to do with financial losses, but GOG is just restructuring some of their staff. It's clearly stated in the article:

“We have been rearranging certain teams since October 2018, effecting in closing around a dozen of positions last week. At the same time, since the process started we have welcomed nearly twice as many new team members, and currently hold 20 open positions.”
Maybe I remember incorrectly, but wasn't Konrad the one who ran to the resetera forums and make an apology for the Postal 2 tweet? Could be related to that and GOG realizing they should keep less staff for social media things.

Why are people still visiting sites like shitaku where the so called gaming "journalists" spread lies and misinformation to generate drama in the hope of getting some traffic for their dying sites?

satoru: snip...
satoru, why are you insisting with your nonsense? You are a moderator of Steam's Global Community. After reading what you said in this thread, it's clear to me that your interests lie somewhere else and not with GOG. Are you trying to apply for a job at kotaku too?