It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm a little bit confused here

https://www.gog.com/en/game/jagged_alliance_2

https://www.gog.com/en/game/jagged_alliance_2_classic

The classic version is sold as DLC for Wildfire ... is this a legal issue again or are the two versions different in any way?
neumi5694: I'm a little bit confused here
The classic version is sold as DLC for Wildfire ... is this a legal issue again or are the two versions different in any way?
Different devs/publishers mentioned on the games' pages.

Edit: https:// www.gog.com/en/games?developers=i-deal-games-studios&order=asc:storeReleaseDate
Post edited March 05, 2024 by BreOl72
Jagged Alliance 2 comes with a few goodies. Not sure if the "classic" brings any of those.
It's the same as with Twinsen's Little Big Adventure Classic and Twinsen's Little Big Adventure Classic - Original Edition [Free] and Twinsen's Little Big Adventure 2 Classic and Twinsen's Little Big Adventure 2 Classic - Original Edition [Free]

the games are not bundled. You get the original Jagged Alliance 2, or LBA 1+2 Free only if you are also going to buy the other version(s).
Post edited March 05, 2024 by Mori_Yuki
Some explanation of this would be nice. Until then, i'm going to assume this is another pointless "new" version of a game released for a cash grab.
Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire got a new build.

The version number is now: 6.08+dlc and "Jagged Alliance 2: Classic" is listed on JA 2:W's store page as DLC.

Edit: typo
Attachments:
dlc.jpg (51 Kb)
Post edited March 05, 2024 by BreOl72
Yeah, different publishers are obvious, that was what the "legal issues" is about.

But the same game twice available on GOG? What is that about?
So far old versons got removed when a new licence holder took the stage.

And offering it as DLC is kinda weird as well. Why not as standalone? (well, probably because the other publisher is nto allowed to do so, but still ...).

Is something gonna happen to the SirTec version?
Mori_Yuki: the games are not bundled. You get the original Jagged Alliance 2, or LBA 1+2 Free only if you are also going to buy the other version(s).
In this case it's (still) possible to get the orginal version from SirTec as standalone and apparently the same game as DLC from the new dev.
Post edited March 05, 2024 by neumi5694
high rated
The regular JA2 (sold by Strategy First) is version 1.12 (normally reserved for the Gold Pack but eh). It's standalone, and doesn't include or require any other part of the series to run.

The JA2 Classic (sold by TopWare) is only available as a DLC for Wildfire and is version 1.03 (not even 1.07, which was the last pre-Gold build). And the base price is $2 higher.

And no, the version tag for the installers is not correct either - 6.08 was a version exclusive to the Russian release; the latest English one is 6.04 and the latest German one is 6.06.

The rights to JA1, JA2 and their standalone expansions are notoriously a maze. TopWare got the rights to Wildfire in 2005 when i-Deal Games invoked breach of contract with then-rightsholder of the IP, Strategy First, and sought someone else to publish a fixed version. The catch with vanilla JA2 is that the original boxed release of Wildfire also included JA2 alongside Wildfire, and that's probably why nobody bat an eye when JA2 Classic appeared on the S-store in 2017. And the reason how they have such an ancient build is that the original TopWare (the one that was closed in 2001, of which the current TopWare is the successor of) was the original German publisher of the game, and released it 3 months before the rest of the world got the game.
Post edited March 05, 2024 by Plok_HR
Plok_HR: And no, the version tag for the installers is not correct either - 6.08 was a version exclusive to the Russian release; the latest English one is 6.04 and the latest German one is 6.06.
I'm just posting, what the files show me:

setup_jagged_alliance_2_wildfire_6.08dlc_(german)_(67213)
Attachments:
Plok_HR: And no, the version tag for the installers is not correct either - 6.08 was a version exclusive to the Russian release; the latest English one is 6.04 and the latest German one is 6.06.
BreOl72: I'm just posting, what the files show me:

setup_jagged_alliance_2_wildfire_6.08dlc_(german)_(67213)
I know, but the game itself tells a different story.
So, if I have the original gog release, do I need the "classic" version for any reason? Modding or otherwise? That's what i'd like cleared up.
high rated
Lucian_Galca: So, if I have the original gog release, do I need the "classic" version for any reason? Modding or otherwise? That's what i'd like cleared up.
Unless you want the earliest possible English release for archival or curiosity on how the game evolved, no.

Between versions 1.03 (Classic) and 1.12 (which you currently have), bugs were fixed, some balance tweaks were implemented, cheat hotkeys were added, and the brothel scene was censored. That's about it.
Post edited March 05, 2024 by Plok_HR
Lucian_Galca: So, if I have the original gog release, do I need the "classic" version for any reason? Modding or otherwise? That's what i'd like cleared up.
Plok_HR: Unless you want the earliest possible English release for archival or curiosity on how the game evolved, no.

Between versions 1.03 (Classic) and 1.12 (which you currently have), bugs were fixed, some balance tweaks were implemented, cheat hotkeys were added, and the brothel scene was censored. That's about it.
Cool, and much thanks for the answer. As long as the 1.13 mod and the vanilla game itself still work, i'm good with what i've got then.
Soooo....They are selling a crap version of the game, replacing the better version we had previously (before the change??)? 0_o

edit:
Nevermind. Still selling the normal wildfire....I think. Just confusing me with oddball versions for different pricing.
Post edited March 06, 2024 by Shmacky-McNuts
Plok_HR: The rights to JA1, JA2 and their standalone expansions are notoriously a maze. TopWare got the rights to Wildfire in 2005 when i-Deal Games invoked breach of contract with then-rightsholder of the IP, Strategy First, and sought someone else to publish a fixed version. The catch with vanilla JA2 is that the original boxed release of Wildfire also included JA2 alongside Wildfire, and that's probably why nobody bat an eye when JA2 Classic appeared on the S-store in 2017. And the reason how they have such an ancient build is that the original TopWare (the one that was closed in 2001, of which the current TopWare is the successor of) was the original German publisher of the game, and released it 3 months before the rest of the world got the game.
That explains a lot. Thanks. But it's a weird way to handle things in any case.

Shmacky-McNuts: Nevermind. Still selling the normal wildfire....I think. Just confusing me with oddball versions for different pricing.
Yeah, Wildfire hasn't been changed. It's the base game for which we now have a second buying option ...
Post edited March 06, 2024 by neumi5694