It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gotcha: It's certainly preferable over ASE, that's for sure. :)
If only Westwood would do a nice remake, like with C&C1 and RA1.

I've always wondered why the Amiga version got a fancy map and the PC users had to draw their own on pieces of paper. Who'd consider that to be fun. There are die-hards like that out there, but not that many, so why not make the map optional, like in Grimrock.
Silly Westwood.
Westwood is not to blame, they did not provided the automap for EoB 1 & 2, nor did SSI for its EoB 3 continuation under another engine (only a bit later in Dungeon Hack).

The die-hard fan(s) reverse-enginered EoB 1-2 games from Amiga to enrich them with full colors and proper automap (Tab button), I beleive the AGA Remakes were made by someone named CFOU
http://eab.abime.net/member.php?userid=3731

The games long gone, the links are dead but it's possible to get WHDLoad editions, or whatever it is.
And those games look great, that's how one should play EoB games, if only somehow that automap feature could be implemented into DOS fan edition along with ending sequence and probably Amiga sounds & music (Adlib is weak in comparison) that would be fantastic edition. I even ready to support a Patreon page or something for the freelance developer to provide the goods!
I might be mistaken but it looks like there is also a function to quicky pickup dropped items (shooted arrows and thrown daggers included), I swear I've seen it in one of the videos from another YT person but maybe it was in a completely different reality. I mean I can clearly see how it's done in video example from Jim playing below but he never commented on that, and I remember seeing another person who clearly stated and described this new item pickup feature, that is amazingly well done and saves a lot of time.

That's how I discovered the AGA editions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gD86GBArjA

And that's how I should have known them way back in 2013:
http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/03/eye-of-beholder-1-2-aga-versions-now.html

The 1.9 patch based on Demo stats is very important since there are so many tweaks which are logical and which were present and then ommitted in final version (probably by mistake). Beohram is definitely a Paladin (from Waterdeep City Watch?), his cross says it most clearly the same way lockpicks points out that Tod Uphil halfling is a thief.
Post edited April 12, 2021 by Cadaver747
Cadaver747: The die-hard fan(s) reverse-enginered EoB 1-2 games from Amiga to enrich them with full colors and proper automap (Tab button), I beleive the AGA Remakes were made by someone named CFOU!
http://eab.abime.net/member.php?userid=3731
I did not know this was a fan project. That's amazing. Thanks for the information.
I recently played EoB1 and 2, so I won't be playing them again soon, but when I do, I'll try to get CFOU's versions for sure. :)
I finished Eye of the Beholder 1 game with unofficial patch 1.9 and All Seeing Eye map addendum, highly recommended to play on 2-monitors set with the game on fullscreen. I also tried Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 Amiga AGA versions but I quickly reverted back to DOS version since Amiga games work much slower for some reason, especially when loading the save files. As for the 1.9 unofficial patch I respect those little fixes here and there, but the gateway in Level 1 doesn't work for traveling back, additionally opened areas in patch 1.9 in Level 1 and Level 3 make no sense in terms of lore or items (one ration and 1 ordinary dagger in Level 1 and nothing in Level 3), moreover there is a teleport behind one door which is blocked (perhaps it was meant to teleport heroes to the Waterdeep's alternative sewer entrance - but it was mentioned that Xanathar should have that teleport in his chambers), and there is one more blocked door with no real purpose since it can be reached from another side (I would expect a button on the other side at least). When I first find the originally missing gate element and activated the portal gate to Level 1 I had that strange bug upon opening a door, the game froze and there were screens sequence with walls, buttons pressed, turning and moving, and another walls moving and so on (like I was doing some game play and work my way through the corridor while opening new areas, pressing buttons and even climbing ladders), every screen change was accompanied with a *moving wall* sound, very odd. I had to restart the game and the bug was gone.
There are 2 gateways on Drow Level 8, one is not working, another one will send to Drow Level 7 with 6 gates but if you use the linked gateway from there it will teleport you to the not working gateway on Level 8 instead of the working one, very strange. I also checked the little alcove in Xanathar's trap room it should have all the gateway keys but there wasn't one key which was added by 1.9 patch. I really wish there was more changes than that. On some Russian forum I read about one person named HSSK, he wrote how he did some spectacular changes in scripts, restored some missing content but nothing was complete after 8 years of development, so sad that nothing else but only that post was contributed to the game (unless you know Russian use the auto-translation, some grammar issues):
https://forum.zoneofgames.ru/topic/61708-eye-of-the-beholder-trilogy/?tab=comments#comment-978813

I started Eye of the Beholder 2 game and so far it looks much better, I feel strong Lands of Lore 1 vibes but Insal the halfling is the worst, he always take my best sword +5 after the camping, what were they thinking?
Attachments:
Cadaver747: I started Eye of the Beholder 2 game and so far it looks much better, I feel strong Lands of Lore 1 vibes but Insal the halfling is the worst, he always take my best sword +5 after the camping, what were they thinking?
Drop the important stuff on the ground before resting. Also: If you take him into your party now, he won't help you later.
stryx: Drop the important stuff on the ground before resting. Also: If you take him into your party now, he won't help you later.
Well, I replaced him with another companion, free of charge.
What, is it a bug or a feature? And how good is his help anyway? I'm considering restating the game now.
Post edited October 12, 2021 by Cadaver747
Cadaver747: Well, I replaced him with another companion, free of charge.
What, is it a bug or a feature? And how good is his help anyway? I'm considering restating the game now.
There's really no need. You can run into him near the end of the game if you have access to the disintegrate spell (I don't know of another way to remove that barrier which he's behind), but he really is just hanging around. He gives you a coin, but you find enough coins already. It's not worth starting over for.

Edit: You can "Google Images" for eye of the beholder insal" and see for yourself.
Post edited October 12, 2021 by Gotcha
Gotcha: There's really no need. You can run into him near the end of the game if you have access to the disintegrate spell (I don't know of another way to remove that barrier which he's behind), but he really is just hanging around. He gives you a coin, but you find enough coins already. It's not worth starting over for.

Edit: You can "Google Images" for eye of the beholder insal" and see for yourself.
Thank you. I found that blasted Wall of Force which I disintegrated with my 12 level mage and there is no Insal the Quick there (I double checked the walkthought even for his position), so it's confirmed: bringing Insal to the team and replacing him with another member later on will completely erase him from the game. I wonder what coin he could share, I had only MAPAJ and THE (they???) SHALL REJOICE (that one is kinda hidden) coins. Insal's extra coin surely is not needed and frankly speaking leveling mage up to 12 to use that disintegrate spell is a no joke.

P.S. Google Images search for "Insal Eye of the Beholder" did NOT help me at all.
Post edited October 17, 2021 by Cadaver747
Cadaver747: P.S. Google Images search for "Insal Eye of the Beholder" did NOT help me at all.
Weird. It's the first hit for me:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/files/Images/00-0289/01.Insal2ndEncounter253.jpg
Sorry to necro this thread after two years, but I just ran into the Insal the Quick bug myself. I thought an earlier poster said that it was replacing Insal with another NPC that erased him from the game completely. I actually let Insal rob me early in the game (knowingly), only to run into this bug near the end of it. (I was not aware of the bug until now.)

I realize meeting Insal a second time is not required to finish the game. It's just that I actually went to the trouble of grinding all the way to a 12th level mage, partially to be able to cast Disintegrate. I have been playing computer games all my life and am used to the problem of never fixed bugs, but it is still slightly annoying not to be able to see all the content. Just in case I ever play this game again, does anyone know what exactly causes this bug and if there is any way around it (i.e. to see Insal in the Crimson Tower)?
ArthurWalden: Just in case I ever play this game again, does anyone know what exactly causes this bug and if there is any way around it (i.e. to see Insal in the Crimson Tower)?
If I'm not mistaken, you have to rescue Insal, but not let him join you. You should then encounter him in the mentioned area much later in the game.
In that case, you would likely start with a thief (likely importing one from the last game), since without one there is no way to get through some doors on Level 2 of the main Temple, including no way to reach Amber (though I'm pretty sure none of those doors are absolutely vital to completing the game).
Post edited December 04, 2023 by ArthurWalden