It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm installing Oblivion again for the first time in many years, and the mod landscape has changed a bit. I'm planning to keep it simple, but with different mods demanding different mod organizers and such, I'd like to find out if my plans are going to work before I waste a bunch of time on a fool's errand.

Here are the mods I want:

-All 3 Unofficial Patches (Oblivion, Shivering Isles, DLC)
-Fast Exit
-BTMod
-Realistic Leveling
-Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
-Put it in its Place

BTMod and OOO are must haves from the past, and Realistic Leveling is to replace the unavailable AFLeveling. Fast Exit is because I am quite familiar with the problem it fixes. Put it in its Place is new to me, and if it's going to cause any complications I can just skip it.

I'm somewhat irritated by the mod manager complexity situation with Oblivion. Some of the mods seem to insist on OBMM, while I've also read that really need to use WryeBash to make a bashed patch for OOO. (I'm not sure why I would need such a thing unless I was using other mods with additional assets to merge, but that's why I'm hear asking more experienced modders.) I also understand that I will need Oblivion Script Extender for a couple of those mods.

So I guess I need to use WryeBash to make a bashed patch, but then use OBMM to actually run the game. Is that correct, or is there a simpler solution that would work with this exact list of mods?
Post edited September 24, 2022 by SwordofSpirit
SwordofSpirit: I'm installing Oblivion again for the first time in many years, and the mod landscape has changed a bit. I'm planning to keep it simple, but with different mods demanding different mod organizers and such, I'd like to find out if my plans are going to work before I waste a bunch of time on a fool's errand.

Here are the mods I want:

-All 3 Unofficial Patches (Oblivion, Shivering Isles, DLC)
-Fast Exit
-BTMod
-Realistic Leveling
-Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
-Put it in its Place

BTMod and OOO are must haves from the past, and Realistic Leveling is to replace the unavailable AFLeveling. Fast Exit is because I am quite familiar with the problem it fixes. Put it in its Place is new to me, and if it's going to cause any complications I can just skip it.

I'm somewhat irritated by the mod manager complexity situation with Oblivion. Some of the mods seem to insist on OBMM, while I've also read that really need to use WryeBash to make a bashed patch for OOO. (I'm not sure why I would need such a thing unless I was using other mods with additional assets to merge, but that's why I'm hear asking more experienced modders.) I also understand that I will need Oblivion Script Extender for a couple of those mods.

So I guess I need to use WryeBash to make a bashed patch, but then use OBMM to actually run the game. Is that correct, or is there a simpler solution that would work with this exact list of mods?
Don't forget LOOT! It will put your mods in proper order. I just had my own nightmare with mods and had to end up dropping several including improved cities.
Also, OBMM won't launch your game, use wryebash for that.
Post edited September 25, 2022 by abbayarra

Don't forget LOOT! It will put your mods in proper order. I just had my own nightmare with mods and had to end up dropping several including improved cities.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if LOOT was still needed (and I'm also not sure if I used it for Oblivion before, or just for Skyrim). So it looks like I'll need two mod managers and a mod sorter, LOL. Well, it *is* an old game (but still, lol).
Post edited September 26, 2022 by SwordofSpirit

SwordofSpirit: Thanks! I wasn't sure if LOOT was still needed (and I'm also not sure if I used it for Oblivion before, or just for Skyrim). So it looks like I'll need two mod managers and a mod sorter, LOL. Well, it *is* an old game (but still, lol).
That is exactly the same experience that I had. I used Galerion for leveling, better dungeons, my overhaul was Francescos, then Dynamic maps which required OBMM, the unofficial patches, Kvatch Rebuilt, Window Lighting System, and for higher fidelity textures I used QTP3 and Oblivion Reloaded 10.1 for shaders and lighting. Others include blockhead with natural faces and finally Weather All Natural with Immersive Interiors. Oh yeah, I used some fixes for the engine including the 4 GB patch, RAEVWD so you can see forever and TES4LOGGen so it will load textures at long distance.
And now I get everything up and running...and I have the "WTF Imma Missing Mesh" stars showing up everywhere. Well, by everywhere I mean there was a section of the starting dungeon that had some, and now that I've just exited the sewers I can see a few of them scattered around. Obviously that isn't an acceptable play experience.

I'm guessing that was included in OOO, unless it was in the unofficial patch. I'm not sure what caused all the meshes to go missing. I followed the instructions in LOOT, even installing TES4Edit to run the quick autofixes on each of the listed conflicts. Maybe that was the problem.

Anyone have any ideas where my meshes went?
Post edited September 26, 2022 by SwordofSpirit
SwordofSpirit: And now I get everything up and running...and I have the "WTF Imma Missing Mesh" stars showing up everywhere. Well, by everywhere I mean there was a section of the starting dungeon that had some, and now that I've just exited the sewers I can see a few of them scattered around. Obviously that isn't an acceptable play experience.

I'm guessing that was included in OOO, unless it was in the unofficial patch. I'm not sure what caused all the meshes to go missing. I followed the instructions in LOOT, even installing TES4Edit to run the quick autofixes on each of the listed conflicts. Maybe that was the problem.

Anyone have any ideas where my meshes went?
I had the same experience. It turns out that the order that you install mods can cause issues. For instance if I install QTP III last it causes some of the other mods textures to go missing. So the blanket mods with textures need to go first on install. Also, Oblivion really does poorly with removing installed mods where a lot of times you have to uninstall, remove the Oblivion folder, and then start over from scratch. For instance if I found that immersion does not work or causes issues if I tried to uninstall it I'd find many issues with missing textures.
It took like 2 weeks and 3 or 4 different attempts to finally get it all working.
Post edited September 27, 2022 by abbayarra
I think I figured out the meshes. It was the mushrooms in the starter dungeon that were missing, so I assume it is because I didn't activate the Harvest Flora esps from OOO. I installed OOO on Lite so I could not have it mess with the XP rate, because I didn't want it to interfere with Realistic Leveling, but I basically added all the features in, and they show up as individual esps in the load list. Since the Harvest Flora ones were giving me warnings in LOOT, I just unclicked those. But it seems like since I selected them in the OOO install, I couldn't just unclick them. I don't know if OOO removed the original meshes because of my selection or what.

I just completely uninstalled everything to try again. This time I'm considering doing the full OOO so I can use the 137 patch. But I also see there is an "Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - Updated" and maybe I should use that one?

And I still see people using BOSS instead of LOOT for Oblivion as recently as last year...so is that something I should be doing?
SwordofSpirit: I think I figured out the meshes. It was the mushrooms in the starter dungeon that were missing, so I assume it is because I didn't activate the Harvest Flora esps from OOO. I installed OOO on Lite so I could not have it mess with the XP rate, because I didn't want it to interfere with Realistic Leveling, but I basically added all the features in, and they show up as individual esps in the load list. Since the Harvest Flora ones were giving me warnings in LOOT, I just unclicked those. But it seems like since I selected them in the OOO install, I couldn't just unclick them. I don't know if OOO removed the original meshes because of my selection or what.

I just completely uninstalled everything to try again. This time I'm considering doing the full OOO so I can use the 137 patch. But I also see there is an "Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - Updated" and maybe I should use that one?

And I still see people using BOSS instead of LOOT for Oblivion as recently as last year...so is that something I should be doing?
I know BOSS is integrated with Wrye but I don't know how to use it. If you feel more comfortable with it, you can use it instead.