It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I am trying to start a game os ROA2 and no matter which mode I use to pull up the automap I end up getting a completely black screen and the program freezes. The only thing I can do at that point is to exit the program. Has anyone else had this problem? I am running it in Win 7 64bit.
run as administrator.
I tried but I still get a black screen and program lock-up. The game runs fine in all other respects but every time I try to pull up the automap I get the black screen and a lock-up. Very odd.
Sol_Invictus: I tried but I still get a black screen and program lock-up. The game runs fine in all other respects but every time I try to pull up the automap I get the black screen and a lock-up. Very odd.
Try saving before you use it. It crashed for me a few times and i'm sure thats how i got it to stop. I have just played it so i should be able to tell you for certain, but my memory sucks.
Sol_Invictus: I tried but I still get a black screen and program lock-up. The game runs fine in all other respects but every time I try to pull up the automap I get the black screen and a lock-up. Very odd.
robobrien: Try saving before you use it. It crashed for me a few times and i'm sure thats how i got it to stop. I have just played it so i should be able to tell you for certain, but my memory sucks.
I've just started playing RA2, and I'm having the same issue. Saving doesn't seem to do anything, and running as administrator is causing its own odd issues.. :(
robobrien: Try saving before you use it. It crashed for me a few times and i'm sure thats how i got it to stop. I have just played it so i should be able to tell you for certain, but my memory sucks.
mastalouist: I've just started playing RA2, and I'm having the same issue. Saving doesn't seem to do anything, and running as administrator is causing its own odd issues.. :(
Does it crash when you attempt to move using the map? I read somewhere that changing the size when you first access it can help. I do recall that it would always crash unless i did something first...lol i know not helpful..but i will boot it up tonight and check it out.
robobrien: Does it crash when you attempt to move using the map? I read somewhere that changing the size when you first access it can help. I do recall that it would always crash unless i did something first...lol i know not helpful..but i will boot it up tonight and check it out.
Opening the automap turns the entire dos-box window black. The music still plays, but otherwise the game's completely unresponsive at that point.
Yep, that is what happens to me mastalouist, a complete black screen and the game locks up.

Thanks robobrien I will try that but I think i did about everything I could think of before trying to bring up the map. I hope I can get it to work because I don't think I will even attempt to play the game without an automap. I did pick up Drakensang for $10 new and with a free Betrayal at Antara I guess I will be content no matter what.
I tried ROA2 again and it will crash everytime if i try and move using the map..unless i save first. It sounds like you guys are having a different problem though so i don't know what to suggest. I play it in full screen mode, not sure if that would make a difference.
Hope you figure it out.
Getting the same Black-Screen on MAP and AUTO MAP
It woould be NICE to get some GOG attention to the fact that the game CRASHES
everytime the map is accesed, rendering the game imposible to play.
run as administrator.
At least that fixed it for me.
I don't want to be a thread necromancer but I saw there was already a post about the problem I was having so I thought I'd ask my question here.

Running in administrator fixed the blank screen automap for me but now I can't access my created characters or saved game. I was lucky to get some really good rolls for my magician and I don't want to have to generate the entire party all over again (it took me forever). Is there anyway I can work around this?
I noticed without administrator mode, the game puts the savegame into some obscure location in the user profile folder. ("...AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Realms of Arkania Pack\Realms of Arkania 2\GAMES" was it for me) Whereas with administrator mode, savegames are put into the installation folder "...realms of arkania pack/realms of arkania 2/games". Just copying the savegame file solved the problem for me.