It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bard's Tale Fans Rejoice!

<span class="bold">Dragon Wars</span>, widely considered to be one of the greatest Bard's Tale spiritual sequels in existence, is available now for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Dragon Wars</span> was born when the team behind Bard's Tale (as well as Wasteland and other tactical gems) realized that they're on to a recipe ripe that blows their previous RPGs out of the water. A design philosophy that merges Bard's Tale and Wasteland innovations was sure to rock the gaming scene forever. But it sold poorly. Sales, however, were far from representative of the quality of this production - <span class="bold">Dragon Wars</span> was lauded by critics and its niche of fans as a true culmination of RPG history to date. With a complex skill tree for every character, varied and numerous friendly or enemy NPCs, and open-ended quest lines - fans of Bard's Tale-style games had a true reason to rejoice. Now we have one too.

Fight valiantly in the <span class="bold">Dragon Wars</span>, available today DRM-free on GOG.com!
This is a must-buy for me. An early days dungeon crawl sets my heart aflutter. :)
Matewis: Love the cover artwork. Reminds me of Golden Axe
I think both are made by the same artist, Boris Vallejo.
Geralt_of_Rivia: As usual for games from that area the Amiga version was way better but this is a true classic that deserves to be here.
timppu: Yeah, I was thinking there must be an Amiga version that looks better. Those screenshots made my eyes bleed, almost turning me blind. EGA, I guess. Does it even support any sound cards, or is the beep-do-be-doop? By 1990 sound card support was already quite common, but you never know for sure...

Maybe too old (aged) for my taste at this point. Might get it with some super-cheap discount, but not really seeing myself playing it. Being a spiritual successor to Bard's Tale series is not a compliment either, I always disliked BT2. :)

Maybe this release works for some others.

DukeNukemForever: Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WuTp4faKA
timppu: By the way, what was the music (remixed) in the beginning? I think it was originally from some Commodore 64 game, but I heard it first time on Amiga, re-created for some intro (I don't think there was an Amiga version of that particular game?).

I loved the song (at least the Amiga version), unfortunately I haven't been able to find that particular Amiga intro ever since.
You are lucky you hit reply on my message so your question caught my eye and I happen to know a bit about game music.

You are right, the original is from a C64 game called Sanxion and was made by Rob Hubbard, the C64 sound wizard. An Amiga version of the game was being made but never released. The music of the Amiga version can be found on the CD "Power Game Hits" which was published by the German company Eurostar. I happen to own that CD.

If the sound quality of YouTube is enough for you, you can listen to the song . I prefer the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMT0T1tsOT4]C64 original though.
Almost bought this several times back in the day for my Amiga, the cover art was awesome. In the end, I always chickened out because I was more of an action gamer back then. Will definitely pick this up when it goes on sale...

Edit: Reading the Mobygames trivia, it claims that Dragon Wars actually was Bard's Tale IV up until 3 months before release, but that they changed publishers away from EA and lost the rights to the BT License so they re-wrote the story at the last second. Interesting if true, especially in light of inXile's next Kickstarter...
Post edited May 28, 2015 by yyahoo
Matewis: Love the cover artwork. Reminds me of Golden Axe
park_84: I think both are made by the same artist, Boris Vallejo.
Wow, it appears to be the same guy. Guy's one hell of a painter!
Nope. Still haven't played the Bard's Tale I've already bought. I'm very happy to have 3 or 4 games in my library that I'm looking forward to after the ones I'm playing now. Maybe later.
Good health, good relationships, work that I'm happy to do, ample food & a home, with games to play in the evenings. Ahhhhhh!
damien: Nice release!

PS: GOG, you can now stop being stubborn and release Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster from Interplay library already!
Bad news chief: according to Wikipedia that's a Win 3.x game. (Maybe somebody like Night Dive is willing to port the Sega Saturn version? :P)

@GOG: Wow, lots of releases today, and probably 700+ votes fulfilled, many more when Walking Dead games finally come. :) (And maybe even more if Judas would complete the appropriate links I sent him. ;-) Seems like it could be hard to keep up, and best of luck hiring people to hopefully ease the burden.
THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER MADE.

If I could beg anything of anyone - buy this game! I cannot stress enough how much fun this RPG was. The only RPG I've ever completed three times all the way through, collecting every little secret along the way. Just an amazing, amazing game.

[EDIT] Just to help out:

Yes, the interface is clunky by today's standards. But it does have a complete, scrollable auto-map. You won't suffer that way, and you certainly never need to draw your own maps.
Post edited May 28, 2015 by yogsloth
tfishell: Bad news chief: according to Wikipedia that's a Win 3.x game. (Maybe somebody like Night Dive is willing to port the Sega Saturn version? :P)
And according to Mobygames, there was also a Windows 95 version. I wouldn't consider it impossible for GOG (after all, the 11th Hour that is sold here is the Windows version).
Piranjade: I'm happy to announce that I'll stream Dragon Wars tomorrow on GOG's twitch channel

FRIDAY, May 29th:
8 pm CEST / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT: RELEASE STREAM with Piranjade = Dragon Wars!

So if you're not sure about the game yet maybe come and have a look with me tomorrow. :-)
vicklemos: Great!!!
Thanks, Piranjade. Looking forward to see that!
*twirls*
It's going to be a dev stream! Rebecca Heineman just confirmed that she'll be there on Skype with me!
*happy dance*
Geralt_of_Rivia: As usual for games from that area the Amiga version was way better but this is a true classic that deserves to be here.
The Amiga was a magnificent computer.
damien: Nice release!

PS: GOG, you can now stop being stubborn and release Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster from Interplay library already!
tfishell: Bad news chief: according to Wikipedia that's a Win 3.x game. (Maybe somebody like Night Dive is willing to port the Sega Saturn version? :P)
A man can only dream!
But why Night Dive? Did they port something from consoles to pc (aside from rumours about Turok and stuff)?
Geralt_of_Rivia: As usual for games from that area the Amiga version was way better...
"Better" is an understatement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCMhPyx305g
Look at those colours! The attention to detail! Listen to the music! And gasp in awe, ladies and gentlemen.
vicklemos: A man can only dream!
But why Night Dive? Did they port something from consoles to pc (aside from rumours about Turok and stuff)?
IIRC they were planning on porting the Saturn version of PowerSlave.

Grargar: And according to Mobygames, there was also a Windows 95 version. I wouldn't consider it impossible for GOG (after all, the 11th Hour that is sold here is the Windows version).
Intradesting.
Post edited May 28, 2015 by tfishell
Some of these games are no-buys for me until the Amiga version comes out. Even things like Might and Magic suffer horribly. We need more Amiga GOG!